We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tabac

Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tabac

What is a "Tabac" ? I assumed it sold tobacco or newpapers but I often see cafes that also say Tabac?

Can Alegria Paris
$$ - $$$, French, Mediterranean, European
Uma Nota
$$ - $$$, Japanese, Brazilian, Street Food
Epicure
$$$$, French, European
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tabac

Anywhere that sells tobacco products. Cafes often sell cigarettes.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tabac

A cafe can be a tabac but a tabac isn't necessarily a cafe! ;^)

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tabac

There is a tabac (or rather bureau de tabac) which sells tobacco products and postage stamps, maybe a few other things too (lottery tickets etc.) and there is a café-tabac which is a café in which there is a counter that sells the same things as the tabac.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,942 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tabac

You can often get a carnet of metro tickets at the counter of a Tabac...

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tabac

I encountered a tabac in Nevers that seemed largely to be a luggae shop. Certainly combining a tabac with a bar of cafe is very common, paricularly in smaller towns.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tabac

A tabac is a place that sells tobacco products and often (incidentally) things like stamps, lottery tickets, and mobile phone recharges. They have a legal monopoly over tobacco, and a near-monopoly over stamps (post offices and tax offices can sell the stamps, too). A tabac can be a business on its own, or part of another business such as a café or bar. There will be a red lozenge-shaped sign outside (it's supposed to look like a cigar) if there's a tabac inside. Outside normal business hours there may be a line of smokers outside waiting to buy cigarettes, if it's open.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,933 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tabac

That's supposed to be a cigar?! O.o

Most of them are the oblong red shape that Euromanic describes -- head over to Google and search "picture tabac sign" to see how many variations there are.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tabac

The reddish-orange sign is referred to as "la carotte", for obvious reasons!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,346 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tabac

the Tabac signs look sort of like baguettes to me and I kept heading for them hoping to buy bread until I learned to tell the difference between the Tabac lozenges and the similar baguette signs on many bakeries

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tabac

As tabacs sell stamps, there are usually post boxes in their vicinity. So recognising the sign can be useful to those of us who still send postcards.