We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice packs?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
311 posts
Ice packs?
Save

Will be in Paris in September, and am wondering where I can buy a gel-type ice pack (the only thing that helps when I have back problems)? I could pack 1-2 in my carry-on, but I'd rather buy there and not have to lug it all over. Thanks much for your help!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Ice packs?
Save

Any supermarket - Monoprix or such is likely to have them.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Ice packs?
Save

The ones designed for therapy are called "compresse froide" and are sold at the sports equipment stores "GoSport" and "Décathlon" and also the "BHV Médicale" on Square Sainte-Croix de la Bretonnerie in the Marais.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
23 reviews
141 helpful votes
3. Re: Ice packs?
Save

In my experience, *essentials* are best brought with you. For sure, you can find just about anything in Paris, but it will not be as easy or convenient as you would hope or presume and will be far more costly. But, it's up to you whether you want to "lug" it along or spend time and extra money once there, especially if you have little or no command of French.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
42 reviews
19 helpful votes
4. Re: Ice packs?
Save

I would consider if gel packs would be allowed in carry on luggage. If not, you may have to check a bag.

orlando fl
Level Contributor
2 posts
263 reviews
66 helpful votes
5. Re: Ice packs?
Save

Any pharmacy also. Tha problem is not the icepack, the problem is keeping it cold. Will you have access to a refrigerator freezer?

My alternative is the good old icebag that gets filled with ice. I travel with one that I bought at walmart in the US. Empty it weighs nothing.

Have a good trip

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
17,271 posts
42 reviews
85 helpful votes
6. Re: Ice packs?
Save

For some travelers, take a moment out from being a tourist and spending a moment doing a regular thing like regular folk is the highlight of a trip. You get to interact with locals who are not in the service industry AND visit a place designed with locals in mind, seeing how ot differs from home.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
14,590 posts
112 reviews
52 helpful votes
7. Re: Ice packs?
Save

I am happy to be corrected, but, as nukesafe suggests, you may not be allowed to put the gel packs in hand luggage. They would count as liquids and the usual regulations will apply.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: Ice packs?
Save

Ice packs were once on the list of banned substances because some of the earliest versions of them contained ammonium nitrate. I don't know if ice packs are still on that list but if they are, you aren't really even supposed to carry them in checked luggage. On the other hand, I'm willing to bet that a therapeutic appliance would be exempted if it's packaging information were available on demand at the security gate.

Therapeutic versions cost less than €15 here so I don't think it's worth all the hassle.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
9. Re: Ice packs?
Save

Any pharmacy will have them, ask for "un coussin thermique". They cost 3 € to 15 € depending on the size. You'll recognize pharmacies by their neon green cross outside the (generally small) store.

Edited: 7 years ago
Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
10. Re: Ice packs?
Save

A "coussin thermique" usually refers to a hot pad.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.