We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticket type from CDG to rue de l'abbé de l'épée

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Ticket type from CDG to rue de l'abbé de l'épée

Can someone please help me.

Husband and I are arriving in CDG Paris next Sunday 25 June at 3.40 in the afternoon. This surprise Paris trip was booked by me two months ago and being female and not interested in it, I was unaware that the world cup was on. I think my husband would like to see a little of the England match if possible. He's not obsessed by football, but I know he'd prefer to catch some of it after all it is his birthday treat.

First of all I though we'd just grab a taxi as we usually do. But reading around makes me wonder if the RER would be faster as we are staying very near according to the hotel to ..."RER B "Luxembourg" station, exit : "rue de l'abbé de l'épée", in front of the hotel, 35 minutes far away from Roissy CDG Airport."

My niece has sent me 16 carnet tickets which I believe are left over from her Paris trip this month. ( Don't know why it's 16 and wonder if the number is important)

My question is how many of these carnet tickets would my husband and I need to use for the trip from CDG on the RER.? Having the tickets will surely speed everything up.

Are they suitable on all transport?

Would a taxi get us there faster? I presume this match starts at 5pm on Sunday France time. Sports fans please help a bewildered wife! Might there be a large screen TV at the airport somewhere so we could delay our journey to the hotel so he can see this. Normally I might protest, but I'm really flexible on this as this as it is his treat.

Special Offer
Big Bus Paris Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,895 Reviews
from $39.60*
$44.00
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,294 Reviews
from $110.10*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Paris, France
Level Contributor
299 posts
1. Re: Ticket type from CDG to rue de l'abbé de l'épée

If you choose the RER from CDG, you'll have to pay attention to the tariff zones. I imagine the carnet of tickets you have are only for the Paris metro (zones 1 and 2). You can't travel to or from CDG with one or several metro tickets.

At the CDG RER station, you'll simply to buy a RER ticket "to Paris", regardless of your actual destination (here Luxembourg), as long it is within the city of Paris. On your way back, you'll need an RER ticket to Roissy Charles de Gaulle 1 ou 2 (depending on your terminal). Expect the ride to be approximately 45 minutes.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Ticket type from CDG to rue de l'abbé de l'épée

Hello Laura -

Given the time of your arrival on a Sunday afternoon, there would probably be not a lot of difference in the time it would ntake you to reach your hotel by RER or by taxi. The tickets your niece sent you will not work for your trip from CDG however. They will work for a single trip within Paris proper, including changes, on the RER or metro, or a combination of the two. They will also work for a single ride on any bus, but not for transfers between bus lines. A "carnet" is simply the name used for ten individual metro/bus tickets purchased at one time at a discounted price.

For your trip from CDG you will need to purchase a ticket at the RER ticket booth before boarding your Line B train which will indeed take you direct to the Luxembourg RER station. It is important that you travel in a car at or near the front of the train and exit at that end of the station. This exit is very close to the corner of rue de l'Abbé de l'Épée, and only about a 2 minute walk from your hotel if you are stayting at the Relais St. Jaques. If you exit at the north end of the station you will have a very much longer walk. Keep your RER ticket handy as you will need it to exit the turnstiles at Luxembourg.

So... RER for 16€ or taxi for around 50€, and the time is pretty much a toss-up. Save the money and spend it on some bubbly to celebrate an England victory?

Have a great trip!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Ticket type from CDG to rue de l'abbé de l'épée

PS: The 16€ is the price for TWO one way tickets, or ONE return ticket between CDG and Paris. I should have made that clear.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Ticket type from CDG to rue de l'abbé de l'épée

Many thanks I appreciate your explanation on the tickets. I was hoping also to avoid queuing to speed things up. But if we must queue we must.

My husband is favouring the RER as we are staying at the Observatoire Luxembourg and it is so close to the metro. Although I confess I'd prefer to just dump things in a taxi. But after using the trams on a recent week in Prague I'm reminded how speedily city public tranport of this type can work and I just want to give him a chance even if it means he only sees the second half of the match.

I've got to learn to pack less for public transport travel like this!!

He knows about this surprise as it became essential to tell him earlier this week. He now seems really keen to see Paris. It's years since I've been and will be our first visit together with 3 full days.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Ticket type from CDG to rue de l'abbé de l'épée

Oh and that bit about getting on the front of the train is very useful. Thanks again.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Ticket type from CDG to rue de l'abbé de l'épée

Just to check the hotel you are staying at. It is the Observatoire Luxembourg and NOT its sister hotel the Relais St. Jacques, right? Only the O.L. is actually on the blvd. St. Michel, though from memory it is very close to the rue de l'Abbé de l'Épée, so it really doesn't change anything. Could it be that its address is rue de l'A de l'É? Seems a bit strange, but anything is possible, I suppose.

What I really wanted to say is that there are automatic ticket machines in the area by the RER ticket windows at CDG. For some reason I have it in my head that these take only coins (not banknotes) or credit cards. I know that US credit cards do not work in these machines, though UK ones might. I don't know for sure.

And I don't know why my brain is refusing to let me be definite about whether they take only coins. It's not like I haven't used the darn things.

In any case, late on a Suinday afternoon perhaps the lines for RER tickets will not be too long, One must live in hope, no?

Not a very helpful post, this one...

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Ticket type from CDG to rue de l'abbé de l'épée

Yes the Observatoire Luxembourg address is at 107, Boulevard Saint-Michel. I picked it as it is has air conditioning and is in the area near the Luxembourg Gardens. I couldn't get my first choice back then although this one also now seems booked up too.

I am sure I also read somewhere in a trip report that the de l'abbé de l'épée stop was the best place to get off.

Thank you for alerting me to needing coins. I think you are correct -many people will be watching the football or settling down to it at that time whatever country they are from.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Ticket type from CDG to rue de l'abbé de l'épée

I just checked and the O.L. hotel is actually on the corner of St-Michel and rue de l'Abbé de l'Épée. I somehow had it in my head that it was a bit farther south.

So in fact as you emerge from the RER station your hotel will be just a few yards away across the rue de l'A. de l"É.

I think we've got everything covered now. Have a grand trip - and Happy Birthday to your husband! I hope he has a good one, that England wins, and that he enjoys Paris too!

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
9. Re: Ticket type from CDG to rue de l'abbé de l'épée

Hi Laura, I stayed at the Relais Saint Jacques, sister hotel of the Observatoire Luxembourg. The Relais Saint Jacques is located on rue de l' Abbe de l' Eppee. Your hotel is on Blvd. St. Michel and the RER stop is just a few steps away. So no worries about taking the RER. Btw, be sure to visit the Jardin du Luxembourg which is just across the street from your hotel. At this time the garden will be very pretty as the flowers are in bloom. Enjoy your visit!

USA
Level Contributor
30,412 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Ticket type from CDG to rue de l'abbé de l'épée

The RER 'B' ligne--ROISSYRAIL train from CDG to your hotel is a relayively simple and straightforward trip and shouldn't present any difficulties on a Sunday. The automatic ticket machines will only accept €uro coinage or RFID '..smart chip..' embedded credit cards. So you will ahve to use the regular ticket kiosk at the station to purchase your tickets (the ticket window will accept US issued credit cards. You can't use ordinary Metro tickets for this ride so you will have to purchase special ROISSYRAIL tickets from the ticket agent.

As noted, ride in the FIRST CAR of the train for the rue de l'Abbe de l'Epee exit from the LUXEMBOURG station. I know that there are escalators up from the station to street level at the upper, rue Gay Lussac exit on Blvd Saint Michel from LUXEMBOURG...but I'm not sure if there is an escalator at your exit. In any event, keep your RER ticket stubs readily at hand during the train trip. You will need them again to insert into the station EXIT / SORTIE turnstiles / gates to exit the station. From the exit, it is simply a question of crossing rue de l'Abbe de l'Epee to the front door of your hotel--perhaps a 100 metre stroll.