We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre Paid Mobile Sim Card with Data

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pre Paid Mobile Sim Card with Data

Hi there,

I'll be travelling to Paris with my wife in September 2013 for about 6 days. Apologies if this has been asked to death, but I'm looking at purchasing a pre paid mobile sim card for the duration of our stay. I'll need data as well.. Maybe 200-300mb at least. I know there are free WIFI hotspots around but I'd like to stay connected on the go as well as in the event we both get separated or running late for appointments, it'll be handy to have a local sim card.

Appreciate any help I can get!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre Paid Mobile Sim Card with Data

You'll have to have an unlocked phone, but Lebara works just fine for me, as does SFR.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre Paid Mobile Sim Card with Data

Yup, my phone is unlocked.. Are they available everywhere? Can you purchase a sim pack from the airport?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre Paid Mobile Sim Card with Data

You can order a Lebara SIM online at www.lebara.fr. Last time I was in Paris the Relays at the airport didn't have them, but I already had one that they had mailed to me at my US address (yes, they do that, and it's pretty funny, because the SIM card comes in an envelope addressed to your US address with FRANCE at the bottom of the envelope). Maybe it's the same for Australia...I don't know.

But you can walk into any Relay store at the airport or any Phonehouse store in Paris and get set up for cheap mobile access in France. I like Lebara because all my French contacts are on it, and it's free to call and text between Lebara users. May be irrelevant to you.

Good luck.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre Paid Mobile Sim Card with Data

Oh I see.. I had a quick look at the website and it doesn't look like you can order a sim pack to Australia. Also, it's probably a bit too late now as I'll be leaving for Europe in a few weeks' time.

What's Relay? I'm assuming it's like a convenient store?

All I need is to make a couple of local calls and data plan with 200-300mb for about 5-6 days..

NC
Level Contributor
269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre Paid Mobile Sim Card with Data

StCirq - Do you remember how long it took for the Lebara SIM to arrive in the US? I ordered mine about a month ago but haven't received it yet. Thanks.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre Paid Mobile Sim Card with Data

Yes,Relay is a typical airport store selling magazines, cigarettes,gum, the usual.,like a convenience store.

Finland
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre Paid Mobile Sim Card with Data

I am not sure if you get good solutions for 3G data at Relay.

In case not, at least one alternative is to buy "Pass Let's Go" prepaid 3G SIM card from Orange.

There are several threads here explaining this, such as:

tripadvisor.com/…45752940

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre Paid Mobile Sim Card with Data

Thanks for the suggestion FinlandTimo but it looks like Orange is quite complicated.

I might just get Lebara from a Relay store.

What do I need to sign up for a pre paid sim card? Is it an easy process?

Finland
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre Paid Mobile Sim Card with Data

I see nothing complicated about buying a SIM at Orange, but making sure the 3G data works may be an issue. This is why I buy from the operator, and make sure they make my phone work. Note that if you use the SIM for voice and SMS only, you do not have to worry about the Internet setup.

The seller of the SIM will take a copy of your passport I should think, because registration of the SIM is mandatory in France. At least Orange did this and explained me the reason. The same happened in Spain btw. Make sure your phone works on the SIM, already at the store. If you buy a refill coupon right away, ask the shop to register it, too.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre Paid Mobile Sim Card with Data

Ok I had a browse on the Orange website

boutique.orange.fr/ESHOP_mx_ft/…

Based on Google translate, I worked out that I'll need to purchase the Orange Mobicarte prepaid starter pack which costs 1.90 Euro (web price - store price could be different?). Comes with 5 Euro credit. I can recharge using Standard or Max "refills".

Here is where it gets confusing, on the main website, it says that Max refill provides unlimited mobile internet but on the pop up page (…orange.fr/publicationASN/vf/mobicarte/recha…) it gives a different pricing (20 euro gives 150MB, 30 Euro gives 300MB etc)

What am I missing here?