We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franprix vs. Monoprix

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
72 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Franprix vs. Monoprix

Hi!

I will be visiting Paris in Oct. and will be near a Franprix, but not too far from a Monoprix. Am I correct in thinking that they are similar in terms of foods, sundries, etc.? Is one better than the other? I plan on visiting markets for some fresh veggies and fruits, but can I purchase quality produce--suitable for hotel room "picnics" (as well as on-the-go) at either one? Do they carry shampoo, soap, etc. in addition or do I need to go to pharmacies for those sorts of supplies?

I plan on using bakeries, fromageries and charcuteries for my lunches--do they sell good mustards? I understand that French mustard is beyond fabulous...any recommendations?

Thanks for all of your help!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,031 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franprix vs. Monoprix

Franprix in central Paris are smaller and have less variety. Many Monoprix are genuine supermarkets with nice butcher shops, bakeries and so forth. It varies from place to place but a full service Monoprix has more variety in foods and wines and also has a department store for clothing, cosmetics and hourwares.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Franprix vs. Monoprix

Yes, Franprix is just a supermarket without the variety goods that Monoprix sells, and does not have a "top line" house brand like 'Monoprix Gourmet' in the Monoprix stores. Therefore, Franprix is considered cheaper but if you do a price check, you will find that this is not true for every product. But Franprix is 'everywhere' whereas Monoprix is not. Franprix is considered to be THE Parisian supermarket, even more so because there are not all that many Franprix stores in the rest of France whereas it is by far the dominant chain in the Paris metropolitan area.

Monoprix and Franprix are owned by the same company.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Franprix vs. Monoprix

I have purchased relatively good quality shampoos and shower gels at Monoprix for decent prices. I'm sure pharmacies have more speciality selection but are more expensive. If there is a particular brand you must have, then consider bringing it in your checked luggage. I typically buy shampoo and shower gel in Paris. However, I bring my facial wash and lotion with me.

Edited: 1:24 am, July 08, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,057 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Franprix vs. Monoprix

Monoprix (and Franprix) carry the national brands of toiletries -- you'll find the same brands at any grocery or hypermarket in the country. They also have their own house brand, as do all the major chains.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Franprix vs. Monoprix

Since the toiletries part is kinda solved, onto more important matters: mustard!

Of course, funniest place to buy is from the Maille store on place de la Madeleine (http://www.maille.com/boutique/), where they have all varieties imaginable, including 3 on tap. They serve you in sandstone pots with a cork lid, which can be reused for your next refill. Among the tap options, I especially like the Chablis one (they have a very good seasonal "truffle and chablis" at the end of the year). Among the pre-packaged ones, the tarragon one is quite interesting.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,031 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Franprix vs. Monoprix

Franprix and other small groceries have shampoos etc but a limited variety -- Large Monoprix have an elaborate cosmetics section and a huge variety of such products. We found a basil shampoo that really does smell like basil that we liked but you can get many of the same brands sold in any US supermarket as well. They have a skin care section that is enormous -- dozens of different products.

Westwood Lassen...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Franprix vs. Monoprix

IF I WERE YOU, I would go to monoprix the first day to buy all I need as there is more choice, then the other days I would go to franprix to buy what is missing. Just a thought :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Franprix vs. Monoprix

From my experience, Franprix is more of a neighborhood grocery store while Monoprix is more like a supermarket. Monoprix carries non-food stuff like clothing, pots and pans etc. It does have more ready to eat stuff and bakery.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Franprix vs. Monoprix

They are so similar that the differences aren't worth worry about, although Franprix is a bit cheaper sometimes and has a smaller selection of merchandise. Either place is adequate for stocking up on whatever everyday things you might need.

The smaller Monop' Daily supermarkets are actually closer to Franprix supermarkets. A standard Monoprix tends to be larger than a Franprix and is closer to a department store (whereas essentially all Franprix are mainly just supermarkets).

Amherst...
Level Contributor
259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Franprix vs. Monoprix

Just a note. Not all Monoprix stores sell food. The one on avenue des Gobelins doesn't, nor does the one on the north side of Alesia. Some that do sell mostly prepackaged products, while others have cheese shops, delis, bakeries, etc. I've never been in one with a butcher shop.