We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris with 3 and 5 year old for one week!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Paris with 3 and 5 year old for one week!

Hello everyone,

I am going to Paris around end of of July, for the first time with my husband and two kids(3 and 5 years old). I would definitely like to see Eiffel Tower and maybe George Pompidou and some other famous landmarks of Paris, but I am sure I am not going to be able to go to Louvre or any other museums!:(

So I wanted to know if there is any other thing I can do to keep them busy during this week. Planning to go to Disneyland for one day but that's it!!

Any other ideas would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris with 3 and 5 year old for one week!

Le Poisson Verte playground at the Jardin Luxembourg, the Zoo at the Jardin des Plantes, and the myriad playgrounds around Paris, including the one right next to Notre Dame. The innumerable ice cream shops around the city, the carousel across the road from the Tour Eiffel, the aquarium near there. Degas ballet dancers in the Musee d'Orsay. Also the Marionette Theatre and the antique carousel in the Jardin Lux near the aforementioned playground. The sandbox at the Musee Rodin and the big green lawn. The big lawn in front of Les Invalides. Little sailboatsin the Tuilleries. The playground next to Les Arenes Lutece. I could go on. Kids just want to run around.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris with 3 and 5 year old for one week!

p.s. I think Disney is lost on kids under 6. It's also expensive and aggravating. But that's just my opinion.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris with 3 and 5 year old for one week!

Wow thanks so much for the detailed reply!!!And would definitely reconsider Disneyland!:)

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris with 3 and 5 year old for one week!

You since you are travelling with your husband, if you WANTED to visit a museum I don't see why you couldn't.. there are a couple ways to do it with tots.

You take turns,, one of you stays outside in the Tuilleries Gardens with the kids, there is a playground there, and they can run and play, then feed them a picnic, the other adult is inside the museum for an hour or two.

Or . you can visit both the Orsay and Louvre in the evenings, one stays home ( at the hotel or apartment) with the kids and the other adult visits in the evening.. this is a good option since the museums are a bit less crowded in the evenings.

OR , you could try visiting with kids.. they are free , so you could all go into together, visit a bit , then one adult may spell off the other with a walk with the kids outside, and vice versus.

Disneyland if fun for kids, adults hate the crowds and expense, but most 5 yr olds still like it.. Its not cheap, there are lines , but I think its not a complete waste of time for young kids. I took my 11 and 13 yr olds on two separate visits, ( I took each child to Europe one on one with me).. and both felt a bit too old for Disney.. they don't believe in peter pan and fairies and pirates anymore,, lol , but a 5 yr old might..

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris with 3 and 5 year old for one week!

Thanks for the replies!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,792 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris with 3 and 5 year old for one week!

let me suggest a Louvre strategy. preview the collection on line and pick a few things you think the kids might like to see and go see those things and then one of you take the kids into the Tuilleries which has a fountain where yoiu can rent a toy boat to sail (or watch other people's), several playground including one with trampolines in the ground, pony rides sometimes, and at that time of year a small amusement park with rides very suitable for kids this age -- and of course kiosks where you can buy food to picnic

the other parent can enjoy the museum while the kids play -- and you can even trade off so the other parent does it a different day or switch off that day.

The Luxembourg Gardens are another great place for kids and they have puppet shows, great playgrounds, fountain and boats again and plenty of ice cream.

we made a ritual of selecting a fancy pastry at a nearby bakery or pastry shop every afternoon and then taking them to a park for snack. most of them are pick enough for two to share and kids get a kick out of choosing as they are so beautiful. there is a bakery on Rue Monterguile that makes them in the shape of little pink pigs and I have seen those occasionally elsewhere as well -- some have miniature pastries e.g. tiny tarte citron or eclairs and that would be perfect for little kids (have some napkins, wipes and a plastic knife in your purse and you can cut up the bigger ones) this was a highlight for our daughter.

all the large parks have elaborate playgrounds that are age coded. the tiny pocket parks everywhere have toys for toddlers. there are a few children's toys like bouncy horses on the side of Notre Dame.

Edited: 10:37 am, June 22, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,792 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris with 3 and 5 year old for one week!

Having taking a 4 year old to Disney in the US, I fully agree that it is not worth doing (unless you yourself love the place -- which we most decidedly don't) The cost and hassle don't pay off and Paris is full of carrousels here and there (Eiffel Tower, Parc Monceau, traffic islands near Villiers and St. Paul metro stops, across from the Marmottan, in the Tuilleries in late summer, Parc Bercy, sometimes at Hotel de Ville -- they are everywhere) and of course there is a small carnival in the Tuilleries in late summer.

an amusement park perfect for small kids like this is the Jardin d' Acclimation …about.com/od/parisforkids/a/Jardin-D-Acclim…

in the Bois de Bologne -- and this park in general is great for kids. you can also rent a rowboat and paddle about the small lake. it is a beautiful 'day in the country' in view of the Eiffel Tower

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris with 3 and 5 year old for one week!

It's a long time since I travelled with small children but I saw this article recently and you might find it useful.

guardian.co.uk/travel/2013/may/10/paris-with…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
872 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris with 3 and 5 year old for one week!

I second the Jardin D'Acclimatation - http://www.jardindacclimatation.fr in the 16th. It's an easy metro ride and not very expensive (you buy individual tickets for each ride). There's also an Angelinas in the park if you fancy their Chocolat Chaud L'Africian. My 4 year old loved it as it has many rides geared to 3 to 8 year olds. Also in July the Tuileries Jardin has a carnival which my 4 year old also loved and your kids may enjoy as well. Paris is very child friendly - in fact, if you do attempt to go to the Louvre with the kids, security will let you go to the front of the line (at least they did for us at the Carousel Entrance).

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris with 3 and 5 year old for one week!

At the science museum at La Villette, there is the Cite des Enfants, with a portion of it dedicated to children from 2-7 years old and another part for older children. I had this on my list, but did not make it there. It looked very interesting and with lots of kid friendly activities in the park outside the museum too.