We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to visit

places to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:39 am, June 24, 2013
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from $108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from $331.40*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to visit

There are, quite literally, hundreds of places that are worth visiting in Paris. You need to read a guide book together and decide which of them would be interesting to you.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,210 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to visit

Baus_raus, really you should do a little investigation on your own (as should your travel companions) and come up with a short list of places that interest you... We can help you with advice on your choices, but who on this board knows what you would like?

Obviously, there are several very well known things to see - the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame.... but you can see quite a lot of Paris in 5 days and you ought to educate yourself a little....

If you don't want to buy a guide book, there is plenty of information online to review... and the Tourist Office booklet is a good help...

asp.zone-secure.net/v2/index.jsp…

- - click on the icon on the upper right to make it a .pdf file

www.fodors.com/world/europe/france/paris/

3. Re: places to visit

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,210 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to visit

Please don't be upset, as you said, it was not mentioned that you had put some plans together. The forum really does get posts where folks have no idea where to start or why they chose to go to Paris. Glad to know you have done some legwork.

Instead of closing your inquiry, why don't you post the places you are considering so you can round it out with suggestions as you were originally seeking? We can't really know if you are 'missing' something if we don't know what you've identified! You also wanted some help on whether to prebook anything, that would quickly be forthcoming...

People here do want to help - we just need a framework to make it useful help

London, UK
Level Contributor
300 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to visit

I never tire of Musee D'Orsay. I also adore Luxembourg Gdns. Weather permitting, you could take a break from sightseeing, go to Monoprix stock up on some nice food and have a picnic. Place des Vosges, another beautiful square. Montmartre and the Scare Couer are my least favourite parts of Paris for the amount of crowds that always descend on the area. But all things considered, I am a Londoner born and raised, have lived in and worked in New York and Rio but nothing and I repeat nothing beats Paris. Best city in the world - end of.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,210 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places to visit

I failed to address the birthday request... We don't typically eat at particularly special places, but many people do and have offered such information in the past. Let me give you some links to other threads with inquiries like 'special birthday dinner' and such... If you mention where you will be staying, others can suggest nice restaurants closer to that area...

These are a few threads from recent times:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k62757…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k62757…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k64914…

7. Re: places to visit

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: places to visit

It sounds like the Museum Pass may work well for you. Calculate the cost of the individual entries of the included sights to be sure. You can either purchase it on arrival at the tourist office at the airport or at your first included museum (make sure it's not one of the busier places like Musee d'Orsay).

Since you are an art lover, you should look into some of the special exhibits going on. I believe the Chagall exhibit is on until late July at the Musee du Luxembourg. I went a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The queue was long and I don't think it's covered by the pass so purchase tix online in advance. I booked the day before and they scanned my phone so no need to print.

My new favorite restaurant is Septime in the 11th. The food was fantastic and is very popular with locals although recent press in the NYtimes and elsewhere has made it popular with tourists as well. You would need to book a few weeks in advance.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,210 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: places to visit

I think you could benefit from the 4-day Museum Pass - - all of your planned sights are covered except the Eiffel Tower and Musee Marmottan.

Use the Paris Tourist office booklet (I gave the link in early post above) and add the open/close days and hours for all your sights. You need to somewhat plan out what days to see which museums because the Pass would be for 4 consecutive days, and some museums close on Monday while others close on Tuesday. You would need to orchestrate that a bit to get the most value from the pass. I think 2 museums per day is a good balance without sensory overload.

The way I make a trip itinerary is to see how places fit on a map of Paris, and try to group them in 3-4’s so as to avoid criss-crossing the city unnecessarily. I also like to provide a mix of activities each day, as 3 museums and no walking outside would fry my brain…

Louvre – enter through the alternate choices to the side of the Arc de Carrousel, or from rue de Rivoli to the underground area (if you want to avoid the usually long line entering via the pyramide)

Musee Rodin – visit both the interior and the garden to see everything

Musee D'Orsay – fantastic museum, don’t limit your visit to Impressionists

Musee de l'Orangerie – this is a nice smaller museum, should take an hour or two at most…

Notre Dame – only the towers require a fee which the pass will cover

Sainte Chapelle – some glass windows are being restored but still enough there to make your visit worthwhile; see both levels, as I’ve read that some folks didn’t know to go up; do not carry any sharp items as security will take them and you don’t get them back later.

(after Notre Dame / Ste Chapelle, you could explore Ile St Louis for a bit, cute shops, nice river views)

Square du Vert Galant - pretty little park at the western tip of Ile de Cité – also has the Vedettes du Pont Neuf departing from there).

Arc de Triomphe – can climb to the top for a nice panoramic overview; you enter via a passageway underneath the traffic

Musee Marmottan - not covered by the Museum pass, but worth a visit. You walk through a nice park to get to the museum.

You could consider adding the Musee de Moyan Age (Middle Ages, aka Cluny Museum) to your plans… a treasure of artifacts, stained glass, tapestries (the most famous of which is on a tour at the moment). Covered by the Pass.

Eiffel Tower – it is probably too late to prebook online, you can try arriving early am (cashier opens at 9:00am) or perhaps late afternoon or even dinner hour, tour buses will be gone…. You can sit on the grass at the Champ de Mars, so a picnic would be nice in this area. (most parks/gardens do not allow you to be on the grass, so you would do a ‘bench’ picnic there).

Be sure to weave in some nice strolls through Jardin de Tuileries (between the Louvre and Orangerie) and Jardin du Luxembourg (St Germain / Latin Quarter). Good for ‘time out’ to relax, absorb, people-watch, etc.

There is a wonderful view over Paris from the Tour Montparnasse, especially if you go later when the sun is beginning to set. In fact if you find the Eiffel lines to be insurmountable, the Tour Montparnasse is a great substitute (you have the Eiffel in your photos!). Before you go up, you could pass through the Montparnasse cemetery, have a look at some of the ‘famous literary’ cafes on blvd Montparnasse (Coupole, Dome, Select)…

http://www.tourmontparnasse56.com/en/

If you decide to visit the Montmartre area (Sacre Coeur), do yourself a favor and begin from the Metro stops Lamarck-Caulaincourt or Abbesses; just avoid starting at Anvers or passing along the base of the terrace of Sacre Coeur (where the carrousel is). You most likely will be pestered by bracelet ‘artists’ who will expect payment for their unwanted services. Coming into Montmartre from the ‘back’ way is nicer, quainter and more pleasant. You can make your own walk up from a street map or follow one like this:

www.walkgeneration.com/Paris/ViewWalk.php…

This is beginning to look like a full 6 days’ of activities - - leave time to smell the roses, café-sit, pop into some shops, and let your feet wander where they may…

10. Re: places to visit