We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WWI Battlefield Tour Somme Battlefields Trip paristrip.com

Melbourne...
1 post
Save Topic
WWI Battlefield Tour Somme Battlefields Trip paristrip.com

Anyone used paristrip.com to go on the somme battlefields tour? looking to go in july for a day trip from paris

would anyone recommend a good company? I hear Terres de Memoire are good also

thanks guys!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
135 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WWI Battlefield Tour Somme Battlefields Trip paristrip.com

We used "Terres de Memoire" and can highly recommend them.

We stayed in Amiens overnight and they picked us up from the hotel on time and then went onto the train station to meet a couple who came from Paris for the day.

Our guide was informative and friendly and we gained a lot from the day, as well as seeing the important sights in the area.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WWI Battlefield Tour Somme Battlefields Trip paristrip.com

http://www.cheminsdhistoire.com/

We booked with Olivier last year; a day trip from Paris. Highly recommend - a full day of touring/history thoughtfully presented.

sydney
Level Contributor
336 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WWI Battlefield Tour Somme Battlefields Trip paristrip.com

Hi we are staying in Lille for a couple of nights do either of these tour groups pick up from there?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WWI Battlefield Tour Somme Battlefields Trip paristrip.com

yes, chemins d'histoire web site indicates tours can start in Lille.

sydney
Level Contributor
336 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WWI Battlefield Tour Somme Battlefields Trip paristrip.com

Thankyou for your reply.

Aldavilla
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WWI Battlefield Tour Somme Battlefields Trip paristrip.com

My husband and two others booked the tour through ring tours Paris and visited the sites today.they cannot speak highly enough of Sebastian and Nicola both guides on their trip.a wonderful experience was had by all three from early pick up from apartment in minivan air conditioned to drop off. Sebastian really knows his history and was most open to sharing any information about the moving experiences.. Our 18 yr old son was most moved by the walking in the trenches and the enormity of the day and experience he said he will never forget..Nicola the apprentice guide was most welcoming with her smile and was willing to assist whenever required. A fabulous day had by all, highly recommend this tour company.

Hobart
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WWI Battlefield Tour Somme Battlefields Trip paristrip.com

Hi,

my husband and I will be in Paris next year and are looking for a tour company that does the Somme Battlefield tour with a pick up at your hotel in Paris, any suggestions? Do these tours also allow you to visit a specific cemetery to see any of your relatives that are buried there? Otherwise, how easy it to catch the train at Gare Du Nord?

Thanks, Tassiebelle

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WWI Battlefield Tour Somme Battlefields Trip paristrip.com

Not sure why a pick up at your hotel would be important; but to answer your question about train travel, we have found it very easy. Just book ahead to get a good fare, book your tour and voila. I've posted a link to the company we used in #2 above. The tour can be customized to your requests; and Olivier will even find the grave site of your family member for you ahead of time.

Hobart
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WWI Battlefield Tour Somme Battlefields Trip paristrip.com

Thanks Bears. I have looked at Chemins de Histoire and also Terres De Memories as good companies to go with. Did you book through RailEurope and did you have to validate the ticket before getting on the train?

Being a 'senior' now and having a knee problem that does not allow me to walk for long distances, thought being picked up from hotel might be easier.

Tassiebelle

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WWI Battlefield Tour Somme Battlefields Trip paristrip.com

Tassie - book train directly here: http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers. I purchased the tickets on line, printed them at home, then provided them to the train personnel on the train when required. Saved time in the morning when we were catching the train. In our case, Olivier suggested train times and stations.

I wonder if a compromise may be a taxi to the train station in Paris. From there, on to the train to your destination, and then meet the guide for your day tour. Would save walking, stairs etc of metro or bus from your accommodation in Paris to the train station.