We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can i take a backpack inside the popular sites ?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Topic
can i take a backpack inside the popular sites ?

I am planning to carry a backpack with me for convenience (family of 4, so something useful to haul water / snacks / camera / etc). I have a PacSafe so hopefully it will be secure as well. But will it cause problems at castles/museums/sites, or will I be allowed to take it inside with me ? Specifically, can I take the backpack with me to the following places (and if not, do they have lockers where I can stash it while I visit ?)

- Louvre

- Eiffel Tower

- Notre Dame

- Versailles

- Reims (cathedral and champagne cellars)

Thanks in advance for clarifying !

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can i take a backpack inside the popular sites ?

Museums might require to leave backpacks at cloakroom. Cathedrals and castles would not.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,573 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can i take a backpack inside the popular sites ?

You will have to check it at Versailles if it has food in it,, they only allow water in there period..

Louvre, nope, you will have to check it.

Notre Dame no problem.

california
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: can i take a backpack inside the popular sites ?

Hmm - - I bought the backpack thinking it would be great for the trip (anti-theft and roomy enough to hold a light jacket + camera + water + odds and ends), Now I might have to rethink. Also visiting Rome, and looks like it may be more trouble than it is worth in both cities. Might have to reconsider and go with a smaller shoulder bag which does not have to be checked in everywhere I go...

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can i take a backpack inside the popular sites ?

DH and I take our camera backpack on each holiday and it has always been very handy and never a burden on 3 Europe trips so far. The only place I remember it being an issue was the Orsay, where we had to check it in. I don't believe we had to do that at the Louvre, they just looked through it.

I've been to Rome twice, but even there I don't remember it being an issue. The only thing that gave us hassle in Rome was my husband wearing shorts on the Scavi tour. They just covered his knees, so he was allowed in.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can i take a backpack inside the popular sites ?

We never had to check our bag in the Louvre, but that was back in October 2008, not sure if they changed things since then.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: can i take a backpack inside the popular sites ?

Rather than wear it on your back, when entering a museum or other venue where you are unsure just place your backpack under your arm like a big purse.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,034 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can i take a backpack inside the popular sites ?

See the terms and conditions on the official Eiffel Tower website. Oversized bags are not allowed and that's at the discretion of whoever is checking. There are rules about food and beverages, too, though I don't recall what exactly.

Here's hoping you will be considerate...so many with large backpacks aren't aware of them and knock people sideways when they turn around, etc.

In some places, where you are required to check the bag, you cannot leave the camera, water, food, etc., in it.

california
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: can i take a backpack inside the popular sites ?

What would be considered "large" ? The backpack is 29 x 50 x 20 cm (11 x 20 x 8 inches). Unlikely I will have much food in it (no babies, kids are 17 & 14). Most likely it will just be filled with souvenirs, I anticipate me & my boy will be the pack mules for wife & daughter !

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can i take a backpack inside the popular sites ?

My son carried his backpack everywhere, we visited every popular site, including the Louvre twice, and he never was required to have it checked. He did not, however, have any food or drink in the backpack.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: can i take a backpack inside the popular sites ?

Oops, I forgot, he did have to check his backpack, and his coat, at L'Orangerie.