We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caution at the Paris Eurostar Train Station?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Caution at the Paris Eurostar Train Station?

Have heard some cautionary stories about the Nord station. If it were just my wife and I, wouldn't worry. However will be there with my 3 children. Any suggestions on avoiding the non-passengers standing around looking for easy marks?

Or is all this just urban legend? Thanks.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caution at the Paris Eurostar Train Station?

You live in Dallas... be as vigilant in Paris as you are at home and you will be OK.

There will be thousands of people at the station, most of then travellers. There will also be a lot of police (of all kinds) and most likely the army, fully armed and looking for trouble makers.

Given that, I dont think the white slavers stand a chance................... :)

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caution at the Paris Eurostar Train Station?

If you are departing from Paris to London, the Eurostar has a private waiting area beyond passport control and check-in so no worries there. Gare du Nord used to be unpleasant but has improved lately. There are still pick pockets like anywhere with a concentration of tourists but as long as you proceed to your destination and dont wander about like lost sheep you should be fine. Have a great trip!

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caution at the Paris Eurostar Train Station?

And even if you do look like the lost sheep, my recent experiences with Gare du Nord is that people are much in a hurry all over the place that you wil probably feel that nobody notices you. Gare du Nord is in no way different from any other big railway station (e.g. Paddington or Victoria in London)

There may come a beggar up to you and ask for money. I normally say "nej" (that's no in my own language) and shake my head and just walk on. They are not agressive in any way.

Paris is not a dangerous place to be.

I mean: I have seen Michael Moore's film "Bowling for Columbine" - I would be scared to death if I had to go to the USA. Come to Europe, much fewer loose guns over here !

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,694 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caution at the Paris Eurostar Train Station?

Gare du Nord is actually one of the worst places for pickpockets in the city, according to the US Embassy, so you are wise to be cautious. Keep your belongs on your person at all times, body contact with your bags, wallet in an inside pocket, mp3s and camera across the chest, and handbags zipped shut. They look for easy marks, so if you are alert you will be fine.

waterlooville uk
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caution at the Paris Eurostar Train Station?

I have seen pickpockets dip into backpacks on the escalators at one of the metro stations (dont recall which one -it's irrelevant) and since then have not used this type of bag. Sadly pickpocketing is a worldwide 21st century disease, but with a little common sense you will be fine.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,321 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caution at the Paris Eurostar Train Station?

Actually I think the biggest problem used to be a scam where somebody came up to you and offered help buying your metro ticket. I can't remeber exactly how it went, I hope others will come in here, but they told you they would buy a pass worth, say €10, and after you gave them the money you ended up with a normal €1.40 ticket. I'm sorry figures are probably wrong but you get the idea. Helpful people at the station may not be what they seem. Just be alert. They are not threatening just "trying it on".

Dallas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Caution at the Paris Eurostar Train Station?

Thanks all. You're right. Be aware and move along with your business. We'll do our best and I'm sure it will go fine.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

8. Re: Caution at the Paris Eurostar Train Station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 16, 2009