We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for solo traveller to celebrate special day-1st May?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Ideas for solo traveller to celebrate special day-1st May?

Hi there,

Due to circumstances beyond my control I have arrived in France solo & am looking for suggestions on what to do on one of the biggest public holidays here, which happens to be my birthday.

I am staying near the Musée D'Orsay. I enjoy good food & people watching. I am not fluent in French but am managing to get by with some basic phrases.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
507 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for solo traveller to celebrate special day-1st May?

Hi,

If you are staying near the Musée D'orsay you could have your lunch in the restaurant in the museum (the restaurant was originally part of the hotel that was there). If you do go, try to get a table beside the window you can see the Seine. If you are not fluent in French the staff in the restaurant are very helpful and will speak English. Not sure if the menu would suit you.

You also go on a champagne cruise on the Seine:

www.city-discovery.com/paris/tour.phd?id=3858

Treat yourself to a cake from Fauchon (on Place Madeleine). They have two shops here and I think the one that sells cakes has a small café in it - they are not cheap but worth it!!!

If you want to people watch (might be better in the evening) - possibly just for a drink you could try the brasserie that it is hotel Notre Dame. It's on the corner of Quai St Michel and Rue du Petit Pont. You can see Notre Dame from it. I've never eaten here so not sure what the food is like but a great place for people watching.

You could also have lunch in the Café/Restaurant that's in the Luxembourg Gardens (unsure if they would be open on a National Holiday) but if it's a nice day, it lovely to be sitting under the trees having your lunch.

You could try one of these restaurants (for a "splast out" meal):

guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/may/06/top-10-par…

I hope this helps!!!

Edited: 5:22 am, April 26, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
507 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for solo traveller to celebrate special day-1st May?

that should say "splash out" meal!!

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for solo traveller to celebrate special day-1st May?

Sorry,Victoria, but most museums and lots of places will be closed.

Musée d'Orsay among them.

Avoid Palais royal, rivoli and Opéra in the morning as well as Bastille /Nation in the afternoon because of Labour Day demonstrations.

Firework,especially for your birthday,at 10 pm Foire du Trône,fun fair in Bois de Vincennes.Going up the eiffel tower or Montmartre, for instance you may catch a glimspe.

If you tell people it is your birthday, they may offer you some lily of the valley which is beeing sold everywhere ,on this particular day.

paris.fr/accueil/societe/jours-feries-en-mai…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for solo traveller to celebrate special day-1st May?

Thanks Oscar Wilde (understood the 'splash out' thing :-) ) & will check out the list. Don't necessarily want anything too fancy. I liked the idea of the D'Orsay Restaurant. C'est la vie! I'll just have to try it on another day.

Thanks also guidemonelimar. So nice that Paris will have fireworks on my birthday. I wouldn't mind seeing the marches anyway. Being born on May Day I feel I have an affiliation to people demonstrating on that day, for some reason.

Whilst getting flowers would be lovely, I am not one to voice the fact that it is my birthday, usually. Although I have now typed it on here, which took a bit of doing, but I am at a loss as to what to do for the day.

Thanks again

Victoria

Edited: 12:28 pm, April 26, 2013
California
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for solo traveller to celebrate special day-1st May?

Check to see if O Kari hammam/day spa is open that day and treat yourself to some pampering!

http://o-kari.com/hammam-paris/

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for solo traveller to celebrate special day-1st May?

If the weather is nice, you might enjoy a lovely place to walk. Either the Butte Chaumont or the Promenade Plantée would fit the bill nicely.

But I really like the idea of pampering yourself on your birthday. A nice meal with a glass of Champagne would top off the day nicely.

Happy Birthday!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for solo traveller to celebrate special day-1st May?

Oh Annette CinCa, i looove your idea of O Kari.

I have just sent them an email. Thank-you for your valued suggestion.

Thank you also Happy Goin, a stroll on a lovely day such as yesterday (hoping next Wednesday's weather is not like today), followed by a meal somewhere & a glass of champagne, is also a grand idea.

And Thanks for the birthday wishes too :-)

Edited: 2:16 pm, April 26, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,764 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for solo traveller to celebrate special day-1st May?

Lilies of the Valley are the symbol of the day (it is a lovely flower with a very, very short season) and you will see masses of them for sale only on that day (well, maybe a few days more in the flower shops) all over the streets. I just love them and they won't necessarily signify a birthday, just that you are taking part in a rite of Spring! Enjoy.

We also arrive on May 1st. In Toulouse, though

Edited: 2:25 pm, April 26, 2013
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for solo traveller to celebrate special day-1st May?

Take a short train (RER) ride out of Paris to Chatou, visit the Ile des Impressionistes, and treat yourself to lunch on the balcony of La Maison Fournaise (http://www.restaurant-fournaise.fr/) overloking the Seine.. It's where Renoir painted "Luncheon of the Boating Party."" There's a small museum there too, and t's lovely to walk around the tiny island by the river. Open 7 days a week, all year long.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for solo traveller to celebrate special day-1st May?

If you're going all the way to Chatou, you may want to consider a visit to nearby Chateau Malmaison. I so enjoyed this after reading the Sandra Gulland trilogy.