We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in Paris

Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first time in Paris

We have 3 days in Paris, - Saturday to Monday, excluding travel days. As a first time visit, and probably the only one, can anyone suggest a not too strenuous schedule for 2 two 65 year olds.

We're not really that keen on major icons, except maybe one or two, but love to find the ambience of a place.

Many thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,400 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time in Paris

When are you going? I would suggest you get a couple of guidebooks (I recommend Lonely Planet) and when you have decided what you would like to see/do come back to TA for further advice. After all, it's your holiday, not ours.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time in Paris

Yes, Dale had it right. With only three days, you'll need to prioritize carefully what you want to see, as you can't see it all. So figure out what's important for you to see, and we can help you sort it out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,441 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time in Paris

Some ideas for places and some hints about eating

http://www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/Paris.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first time in Paris

Hello,

I heard that the neighborhood called "Le Marais" is a great place to spend afternoons, walking around and relaxing. Why is it so special? Are there a lot of things to do there?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time in Paris

Hi StewardM_13, Le Marais actually comprises of a Jewish district and an area popular with the LGBT crowd. As such, its interesting in the sense that you get to see a different face of Paris. There are also many unique fashion boutiques and home to what many deem to be the best Falafel shop in Paris.

The History Museum of Paris - the Carnavalet - is located there. However, many shops are closed on Saturday as its Shabbat. but it remains open and lively on Sundays, mainly patronised by the local crowd. Hope this helps!

Edited: 9:00 am, April 22, 2013
Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time in Paris

firstyAustralia, on the right of this page is the heading Paris Trip Ideas with links to various sites.

I also found the following links when I entered "Paris neighborhoods" in Google:

frommers.com/destinations/…0062021229.html

www.parisperfect.com/paris-neighborhoods.php

The must-see that I recommend is La Sainte Chapelle because of the gorgeous stained-glass windows.

But, really, a lot depends on you. I have friends who could happily spend an entire day at the large department stores, while some people love art museums.

Do you like market streets? Do you like parks? Enter parks/markets in the Search function above or in Google.

IMO, Paris is full of atmosphere wherever you may be.

MrsJAS

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: first time in Paris

How about booking a cruise on the river seine?

You'd see a lot .http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187147-d654725-Reviews-Bateaux_Parisiens-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Le marais is nice.Narrow streets unlike other parts of the "Haussmanian Paris" and many palaces.Rue Mouffetard and its market is good for its atmosphere too.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=marche+rue+mouffetard&id=BC8360554ED8656E811B17BB5A4CD827E3A0A9E0&FORM=IQFRBA#

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187147-…

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time in Paris

We need to know what you mean by "things to do." For us, people watching at a café is a major thing to do (and we like Belle Epoque furnishings if we can find them, so for us, Les Deux Magots was a destination - and who could resist the incredible cathedral, Saint Germain des Pres, across from it? It's also the burial place of Descartes - so for us one thing "to do" is standing and remembering the truly important figures that shaped our modern age - so of course, we like the Pantheon and Pêre La-Chaise).

LeMarais is captivating because of many, many things. If you had Frommer's 24 Walks in Paris, you'd see why - it ranges from the modern Pompidou and its amazing fountain, to old churches (St Merri is a favorite of ours) and hidden things (like the Knight fighting Time) and parts of medieval France (Hotel de Sens, the Roman Wall) and the wonderful Musée Carnavalet.

I can' timagine simply skipping the Louvre (at least walk past it) and since everyone should "do" one garden, Tuileries comes to mind (it isn't too far from LeMarais). LeMarais also has many other museums and sights - but so does every other neighborhood.

Off the beaten track? Maybe go up to the world's first Gothic Cathedral (St Denis), which is also the burial place of many Kings and Queens of France (or, just go to Notre Dame - again, while you might not want to see "icons" can you really go to Paris and *not* see Notre Dame? It's the most amazing building in the world, in my opinion).

Is looking at stained glass something that you classify as "something to do"? Or is it more things like boat trips and trips on little trains? Montmartre has a tourist train and the Seine has boat trips (including a batobus - that you can catch near Notre Dame or at one of many other stops and use to see the City).

In terms of museums, they are spread all over the L'Orangerie is my favorite to recommend to first timers (and perhaps not as "iconic" as the D'Orsay or the Louvre?) Still, missing the breathtaking first floor entry into the D'Orsay would be a shame...as would be missing its top floor of Impressionists...

At any rate, the things each of us does while in Paris runs a tremendous gamut of things - and if this is your only trip, perhaps you should think about what would make the best memories. Seeing a covered passage? A romantic dinner at a French restaurant? Strolling the Seine? Going where Voltaire, Rousseau, Franklin and Jefferson went? Seeing the Eiffel Tower twinkle? Dealing with crowds to go to the top of the Tower?

Only you can decide - but nearly every block of Paris (including LeMarais) is filled with things to do (scarf shopping, boulangeries, chocolate stores, patisseries, charcuteries, cafés, galleries, boutiques, shoe shopping, perfume shopping, department stores that will amaze, views of the city, views down grand boulevards, sometimes winding streets and medieval buildings...sometimes modern murals and art - all kinds of public art in Paris).

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: first time in Paris

ChristinaGrace, thank you for your reply! I think we will go there tomorrow!

We arrived yesterday in Paris. Everything is perfect so far, really nice accommodation, amazing weather.

So good!!!!

i'll keep you updated!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: first time in Paris

Hi!

We came back from Paris 2 weeks ago. Our stay was simply perfect!

Nice weather, we met friendly people. We really enjoyed our stay.

We are already planning to come back soon.

We've been to Le Marais, really nice area. But my favorite place in Paris was definitely the area of Montmartre, what a beautiful view! Really charming area.

Thank you so much to every TA fans who helped me. I had a lovely stay