We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air France vs. KLM

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
698 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Air France vs. KLM

I have the choice of flying KLM or Air France out of Montreal. The price is quite close. I have no familiarity with either airline. Last year I flew USAir or somesuch to London and was not impressed.

Any suggestions?

Merci

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air France vs. KLM

Well they are sister airlines, so there is a really good chance the flights you are looking at are actually the same planes. Have you compared the specific times?

I took Air France and Delta last August (Delta is another codeshare partner with AF/KLM). Both flights were very good, but Air France was a little nicer - slightly newer plane, somewhat better entertainment including French films as well as hollywood releases, and somewhat better food.

I have flown KLM in the past and never had a complaint with them, but I haven't flown with them in maybe 10 years.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air France vs. KLM

You're sure KLM doesn't do a stopover in Schipol? Most of their flights usually do, is the only reason I ask. They're both so similar, it doesn't really matter too much. Some people think the food is better on AF, but I'm not one to say, as I think all airplane food is inedible.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air France vs. KLM

If it is a direct Montreal-Paris flight, it will be an Air France plane no matter where you buy ticket or what flight number it says.

In any case, just take the cheapest fare. I picked up a friend at the airport yesterday flying Sao Paulo-London-Paris. Naturally, the flights were on British Airways even though he bought his ticket from Iberia (now owned by BA) because it was cheaper.

Edited: 9:21 pm, April 20, 2013
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air France vs. KLM

Exactly. I bought my tickets through Delta due to my husband's frequent flier status and Delta Amex card perks. But the flight is operated by Air France (which you find in the flight details), so it's an AF plane and flight crew. I'm sure KLM is selling tickets on the same plane.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air France vs. KLM

Actually, when you see the same flight listed with 2, 3 or 4 different flight numbers for different airlines, it is quite easy to figure out which airline is actually operating the flight -- it will have the lowest flight number. Flights that airlines are operating themselves generally have 2 or 3 digits. Codeshare flight numbers have 4 digits.

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
698 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air France vs. KLM

As long as it doesn't turn out to actually be USAirways. On my trip to London, they served a snack consisting on a chicken wrap. The chicken was rotten. Fortunately I ascertained this before I ate it. :-O

Florida
Level Contributor
17,079 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air France vs. KLM

All I can say is - Air France, the airline of French wine country, is the only operator to ever confiscate my corkscrew from my carryon. Even the TSA doesn't do that! (has no little knife). Other than that, good flight and good service at the airport counter.

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
698 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air France vs. KLM

Aha, my corkscrew, along with my champagne recorker, is going along in my checked bag, then.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air France vs. KLM

Exactly K2! Although on Delta at least, in the flight details it also spells it out in plain English. :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air France vs. KLM

<<All I can say is - Air France, the airline of French wine country, is the only operator to ever confiscate my corkscrew from my carryon.>>

Since when has Air France been doing security checks? I thought that only the airport security officials did that. Did they come and search you in the plane?