We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnet v metro day ticket

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Carnet v metro day ticket

I am Paris at the moment and for all first time travellers, don't think you need to automatically buy a metro daily card at the cost of 10 euros 55. Because the majority of the sights are within walking distance, i suggest you buy a carnet of 10 tickets at the cost of 13 euros 30. These are not time stamped and can be used throughout a whole stay for zones 1-3. I bought a daily card the first day and only used it twice had i bought single tickets the cost would have been 3 euros 40..

For people whose French is either rusty or non existent don't worry the ticket machines have buttons to press for most European languages. And you can pay for the tickets with a card, just make sure you have 10 tickets when you walk away from the machine.

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from $109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from $302.10*
$335.60
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,774 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnet v metro day ticket

I agree that a day pass is not good value for people who stay in Paris itself and the carnet is usually the most economical. I also agree that for any able-bodied person, Paris can be visited on foot. I am not sure which day pass at 10.55 € you are referring to as there are several day passes: Mobilis, Paris Visite and for those under 26 the Ticket Jeunes Weekend valid on weekends and holidays. Each of these will have different fares based on the zones you want.

All of Paris is in zone 1 but there isn't a pass that sells for one zone only, they are all for a minimum of 2 zones.

Just a slight correction, the ticket t+ is valid on the whole métro network regardless of zones (the métro extends as far as zone 3) but on the RER it is only valid within Paris (zone 1). Also the ticket t+ is time-stamped and is valid for 2 hours after going through the turnstile. Of course it stops being valid as soon as you exit the system. But an unused ticket never expires and can be used in 2 years if you want. They can also be used on buses and trams in any zone and the Montmartre funicular.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,774 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnet v metro day ticket

Here are the day passes available:

1) Mobilis: vianavigo.com/en/…

2) Paris Visite: vianavigo.com/en/…

3) Ticket Jeunes Weekend: vianavigo.com/en/…

Now based on the fare I see you got the Paris Visite Day Pass for zones 1-3. Paris Visite is a notorious rip-off. It is only worthwhile for those commuting between Paris and zones 4 or 5 daily on multi-day passes and for children under 12 because they get a discount (a day trip between Disneyland and Paris for instance).

For anyone staying at least 4 days within a Monday-Sunday period and who intends to use public transportation frequently, the best unlimited pass is the weekly Navigo Découverte: vianavigo.com/en/…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnet v metro day ticket

There are two types of people who like public transportation even for relatively short distances: older people with mobility issues and families with children (children adore the metro).

And on days when it is pouring rain, the metro becomes even more popular. Even in the current temperatures with the sun shining, I confess that I was pretty miserable waiting at the bus stop this morning before 9 a.m. If the metro had been going to my destination, I would have jumped in it without hesitation.

Edited: 12:41 pm, April 01, 2013
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,384 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnet v metro day ticket

Kerouac I though the metro went everywhere? Whats with people saying there is a metro station in Paris every so many blocks regardless of where you are?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnet v metro day ticket

Yes, there are metro stations everywhere, but the bus lines are often perpendicular to the metro lines to allow you to go to places directly without changing metro line two or three times. For example, I live on line 12, and I'm sure you know that you have to take the grand tour under Montmartre to get anywhere when you live in the north. So the direct buses to Gare du Nord or Gare de l'Est are a godsend for me.

Edited: 12:48 pm, April 01, 2013
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnet v metro day ticket

Hi

Thanks for explaining in more detail the ticket i was referring to is the moblis.

7. Re: Carnet v metro day ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 03, 2014