We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Vs Paris/London

Macclenny, Florida...
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Vs Paris/London

I am panning a week trip to to Paris in November. The original plan in progress is to spend the entire time exploring Paris. I have had several people tell me that is not a good plan because it is so easy to get to London. Several people have suggested I make 2 days of the trip to London so that we get to see more. My question is for more experienced travelers, What are the pro's and con's for spending the entire time in Paris opposed to seeing London as well. Paris is my dream trip and no matter what, that is where I plan to spend the bulk of my time. Any suggestions?

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from $108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from $331.40*
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Paris Vs Paris/London

Given that Paris is your "dream" city, definitely spend the whole week there -- why "wake up" from your dream any earlier than necessary? :) Paris became my dream city the first time I visited ... and 20 years and 10 visits later, it's still my dream place. Even when I do make a loose itinerary, I rarely do more than a fraction of the list. But that's just part of the beauty of the city ... there's ALWAYS more to see/explore/taste -- and revisiting favorite spots can be magical. Stay in Paris and you won't regret bypassing London. (and don't feel odd about being so excited for a Nov. trip -- planning is half the enjoyment)

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Paris Vs Paris/London

<<My question is in general is it cheaper to fly in to and out of the same airport (CDG or Heathrow) or is it reasonable to fly into CDG and then back home from Heathrow?>>

You are just going to have to check for yourself...

There is no "general", particularly when you are dependent on "points".

And, you really should start your own inquiry...

As for "cheaper" for flying into and out of, all depending upon points and cost, convenience may be a significant factor as transit between can be inconvenient and also time consuming and, perhaps, not worth "economizing".

All in all, you really need to do a bit of research/homework on your own.

Much also depends on your "home" airport and international flights and connections.

tennessee
Level Contributor
495 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Paris Vs Paris/London

Djkbooks makes a number of good points, but I will add that "in general," from the US, round trip to London is cheaper than round trip to Paris, and flying into one and out of the other is midway between the two.

Edited: 11:57 am, March 27, 2013
Macclenny, Florida...
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Paris Vs Paris/London

I am going to spend the whole week in Paris and plan a trip to see London another time. I am so happy I found this forum. You are all so helpful! I got Rick Steve's 2013 Paris guidebook today and I'm going to read that and then try to come up with an itinerary. Thank you for the advice!! :)

Macclenny, Florida...
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Paris Vs Paris/London

@rigbyjack we aren't all backwoods in Macclenny! lol but then again I have never been a typical Baker Countian ;)

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Paris Vs Paris/London

Melissa B: Good for you! I think you'll be more that satisfied with that decision.

As to the other inquiry and <<Djkbooks makes a number of good points, but I will add that "in general," from the US, round trip to London is cheaper than round trip to Paris, and flying into one and out of the other is midway between the two.>>

Though round trip to London may cost a bit less, if you're also visiting Paris, you do have to add on the round trip fare (train or air or bus) between Paris and London and consider the time for the return trip to London.

And, you really cannot rely on anything but your own homework for your departing city and your dates.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Paris Vs Paris/London

Do just Paris, you'll never regret it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Paris Vs Paris/London

Melissa, Rick is great for first timers. He covers everything you want to see. Don't forget to come back to us if your itinerary needs tweaking

Macclenny, Florida...
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Paris Vs Paris/London

Ok! I definitely will. I'm working on the itinerary now. I just realized one of the days we have in Paris is a holiday there. Nov 11. Not sure how that will affect plans.

Macclenny, Florida...
Level Contributor
22 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Paris Vs Paris/London

Ok! I definitely will. I'm working on the itinerary now. I just realized one of the days we have in Paris is a holiday there. Nov 11. Not sure how that will affect plans.