We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris souvenirs, perhaps from a flea market?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
698 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Paris souvenirs, perhaps from a flea market?

My last trip to Paris was 26 years ago -- I bought vintage hat pins, a dotted black and white faille miniskirt, some prints, and shoes, shoes, shoes!

This trip, I am not buying clothes! I won't fit in them anyway. I'm buying 2 bottles of perfume, but I'm interested in picking up some little SMALL vintage items perhaps at flea markets. For example, in London I bought silver iced tea spoons and a brass compass in a leather case. I like quirky things, old black-and-white photos, old interesting printed linens, commercial items, vintage costume jewelry, etc. Would flea markets be a good place to look?

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
856 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris souvenirs, perhaps from a flea market?

Yes, I think this would be good place. Just take care about what you buy, but this is stupid advice lol.

Maybe a sommelier set ?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris souvenirs, perhaps from a flea market?

Yes, the big Paris flea market would be a logical choice. But also brocantes (2nd-hand stores/markets) and vide-greniers (yard sales/garage sales).. Here's a list for 2013 for Paris. Just use the Choissisez Votre Period box to put in the month you'll be there: vide-greniers.org/agendaDepartement.php…

Illinois
Level Contributor
564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris souvenirs, perhaps from a flea market?

The weekend flea market at the Porte de Vanves sounds like the perfect place for you.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris souvenirs, perhaps from a flea market?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I've found some wonderful vintage costume jewelry pieces each year at the March d'Aligres.....it is a true "flea market" that has everything from books to clothing to hardware, jewelry...well, you get the idea!

I've gotten lots of treasures there each year....at this point it is still my "favorite" flea market that I've gone to, but I've not gone to all of them yet!

Malama Pono (take care)

Janet

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
698 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris souvenirs, perhaps from a flea market?

From the very useful comments from you all, I get the feeling that I should avoid the giant flea market (at Cligancourt ?). That flea market appears to have a lot of large, more expensive items such as furniture, from what I have read elsewhere and may be a bit overwhelming. It appears the flea markets are open on Saturdays and Sundays and open early, from what I could read,

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I am based in Montparnasse.

Thanks in advance!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris souvenirs, perhaps from a flea market?

The Clignancourt flea market is perfect for the small pin, spoon, brooch, old coin, pillbox, etc. items. There are huge trays of such things just waiting to picked over.

…photobucket.com/albums/…puces020.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…puces022.jpg

Full report here: anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

Edited: 2:02 pm, March 28, 2013
Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
698 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris souvenirs, perhaps from a flea market?

Thank you so much. I tend to be a bit timid, but seeing that silver and kichen tins -- just the sort of thing I am looking for! I'd really like to find a small (as in packable in a 24" spinner) tin sign.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris souvenirs, perhaps from a flea market?

There are tons of tin signs at all of the flea markets -- some authentic and some replicas.

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
698 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris souvenirs, perhaps from a flea market?

cool, I hope the rustier means the better! I have a great one of Elsie the cow selling ice cream! Now I need a french one for my breakfast nook!

Illinois
Level Contributor
564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris souvenirs, perhaps from a flea market?

Not to turn this thread into a battle of the fleamarkets, but.... the Vanves market that I mentioned above is just south of Montparnasse: a short and direct metro ride on Line 13. Exit Porte de Vanves, and you're there. With about 200 sellers with tables along a street, it's quite a bit larger than the marche d'Aigres, but smaller and less expensive, and less overwealming, than the Clignancourt market. Also frequented more by locals. One article on it:

bonjourparis.com/story/vanves-flea-market/

I remember seeing lots of sellers with small, interesting items like you mentioned.