We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Paris
Search

Best way to travel from London to Paris

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
61 reviews
38 helpful votes
Best way to travel from London to Paris
Save

My husband and I will be spending 5 nights in London followed by 6 nights in Paris. Our travel agent has given us 3 choices for how to travel between the two cities; 1) Eurostar, 2) Ferry from Dover; 3) Fly. I'm sure all these options have their negatives and positives. Just wondering what others think about the choices. Any thoughts appreciated. Love the help I get on TA Forum!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
106,076 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: Best way to travel from London to Paris
Save

Eurostar is the way to go: city centre to city centre with no fuss over security or the need to change from one transport method to another.

But don't book through your travel agent unless you want to pay more than you need. Book direct with the train operator: www.eurostar.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
2. Re: Best way to travel from London to Paris
Save

Eurostar.

And please, check the prices yourself on www.eurostar.com There's no point in buying via an agent when you can do it in a few clicks yourself.

California
Level Contributor
10,729 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Best way to travel from London to Paris
Save

It's unanimous: Eurostar. Do as the others have advised and book direct.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
24,032 posts
114 reviews
172 helpful votes
4. Re: Best way to travel from London to Paris
Save

Wow, what was your travel agent thinking, there is no way I would consider anything but taking the Eurostar, its 2.5 hrs, and its city center to city center ( no commuting in and out to airports etc) and can be dirt cheap if you are booking far enough ahead.

Seriously consider you just book these yourself online at www.eurostar.com

Travel agents will likely quote you a higher price ,, why use one when you really don't need to.

I use the "pick up tickets at station"..

Enter UK as your country or you may be redirected to the RailEurope site which is sometimes more expensive and sometimes does not list all the train times.

Toowoomba Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
14 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Best way to travel from London to Paris
Save

Eurostar only way ! city centre to city centre.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
24,032 posts
114 reviews
172 helpful votes
6. Re: Best way to travel from London to Paris
Save

Dying to know, what hotels did TA suggest ??

Please be careful when using a TA, they often suggest a lot of bus tours etc, ,, for two reasons, a)they get a commission, and b)they really don't know how to suggest you get somewhere or see something on your own. The fact she gave you three crossing choices and wasn't able to speak with any authority advising you on the best choice says quite a bit about her.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
124 reviews
77 helpful votes
7. Re: Best way to travel from London to Paris
Save

Another vote for Eurostar!

I have also tried train+ferry+train and direct flights to CDG (from diverse U.K. airports) but since I tried Eurostar I would consider no other, certainly not from London.

Eurostar is especially handy if one chooses a Paris hotel within easy walking distance of the Gare du Nord.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
663 posts
100 reviews
156 helpful votes
8. Re: Best way to travel from London to Paris
Save

Another vote for Eurostar- simple, fast, and hassle free !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
232 reviews
163 helpful votes
9. Re: Best way to travel from London to Paris
Save

Don't you just love travel agents who read out of a manual - has she/he ever done the sort of holiday you are doing? Probably not. I have a travel agent for SEAsia because she can get better deals than me going direct and I feed her every step of the way. Europe ... never!

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
61 reviews
38 helpful votes
10. Re: Best way to travel from London to Paris
Save

Thanks everyone! Looks like Eurostar it is! I have been to London and Paris before and usually just use my TA for advice on hotels, areas to stay in, etc. I'm sure I'll book the Eurostar on my own. Hotels we're looking at in London are Thistle Hyde Park, Lancaster Gate and the Corus Hyde Park, which we stayed at last time. I like that area and feel comfortable there. Thanks again, Mickey