We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cafes/bistros/patisserie around Galerie Lafayette

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Topic
cafes/bistros/patisserie around Galerie Lafayette

HI, our last day in Europe is a free afternnon ( no tour with our tourgroup) around Galerie

Lafayette. Other than the food hall in G. Lafayette that someone mentioned to me, is there

any name you can recommend. Just a family style place is ok with us. Since this is our last day

in Europe, want to find some real French pastry/ crepes/ baguettes/ crossiants etc. We also plan to walk to Opera house and Tulieries Garden, if you have recommendation around those areas, please let me know too

What district is Tulieries Garden and Opera house in ?

Thanks so much

Luxembourg Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Architectural Buildings, Gardens
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cafes/bistros/patisserie around Galerie Lafayette

Not to be rude or anything but a simple search would tell you where the Tuileries Gardens and Palais Garnier are.

As for some good restaurants do they have to be around Galeries Lafayette? Also I assume you're also talking about the flagship Galeries Lafayette on Boulevard Haussmann? Galeries Lafayette has multiple locations.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cafes/bistros/patisserie around Galerie Lafayette

Yes, it is G. lafayette on Blvd Haussman. Since I am planning to start from G. Lafayette , then to opera house,

then to Tuileries Garden, I think I will just stay around these areas. We only have l free afternnoon.

Thanks

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cafes/bistros/patisserie around Galerie Lafayette

What's your budget? You can research this in several ways (Zagat...?) Michelen isn't usually "family style."

There's a chain restaurant, Chez Clement, that has reasonable prices and the staff speaks English (just south of the Opera, google it). Go to maps.google.com, type in Opera Garnier and then click "search nearby" and type in "restaurants." You should see a bunch of others.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,624 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cafes/bistros/patisserie around Galerie Lafayette

Go to the cafe in Galeries Lafayette. The Grand Magasins of Paris have very nice places to eat within its confines. There are cafes and bistros and patisseries on almost every block, you will have no dearth of food to eat. If you are into micro managing all the details. I'd say get a copy of Zagat for Paris, endless information on the food trade.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cafes/bistros/patisserie around Galerie Lafayette

OP keeps intimating that he doesn't want to be in the Galeries Lafayette. It's very hard to know what food he wants (or experience). Le Grand Colbert (nearby) and featured in many movies is exactly the kind of Paris (or Paris theater) that some people want, but it's pricy. Is it family oriented? Well, I've seen many families there, but have not eaten there. The place around the corner from it (at the front of Galerie Vivienne) was just okay - but so much cheaper.

Maybe this is why chains were invented...but another way to go is to head toward the area where the chain is (since they market researched it and know people eat there) and pick someplace else that appeals.

Me, I'd go to the café at Galerie Lafayette, but these threads have been mostly about getting away from it.

I did think that maybe sending OP up towards the big Louis XIV arches on...is it Grands Boulevards? (I don't know, this is where we need a DE) might be interesting. Really great couscous shops and the like there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,624 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cafes/bistros/patisserie around Galerie Lafayette

My advice is that OP is in the area. What is so bad about GL, it is a classic French grand department store and the most incredible food floor and lots of cafes. Instead of going around in circles with trepidation that oozes out of the post, why not be adventure and go inside GL. I doubt if Le Grand Colbert if the cafe/bistro/patisserie the OP is looking for. Best if OP is still in a quandry for him/her to get a good guide book.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cafes/bistros/patisserie around Galerie Lafayette

thanks for everyone's input. I did not realize the Cafe at GL is good, so I will just try it

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cafes/bistros/patisserie around Galerie Lafayette

The OP is also heading to the Tuileries Garden afterwards, so there's ample dining available depending on when and where the OP wants to eat. It's hard to give recommendations off of a general itinerary where the end point is a 20 minute walk away from Galeries Lafayette (the original destination).

I know the OP said that he wanted to eat around Galeries Lafayette originally, but then talked about going to the Opera and then to the Tuileries Garden afterwards.

Would you be opposed to eating in other areas other than around Galeries Lafayette?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cafes/bistros/patisserie around Galerie Lafayette

Ok sure, I think any of the areas that I would be going to are potential spots for eating for us ie. Opera,

Tuileires Garden, Place de la Concorde, Cathederal Madeline

thanks

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cafes/bistros/patisserie around Galerie Lafayette

You can't walk 10 feet in Paris without tripping over a patisserie/café/bistro/restaurant, so this is nothing that merits any kind of advance planning unless there is a specific one you must visit. And you really need a good map of Paris so that you have some idea ahead of time of how to orient yourself and get around. And a guidebook so you don't refer to things like Cathederal Madeline but rather have some idea of what things are and their historical import.