We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frommer's, Fodor's or Rick Steves

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Topic
Frommer's, Fodor's or Rick Steves

Hi there ... I have been searching Amazon for travel guides and maps, and all three of the above get good reviews.

In your opinion, which of the three is the most useful? Or is there another one that you would recommend instead.

Many thanks in advance for any and all input.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frommer's, Fodor's or Rick Steves

if it's your first trip abroad, Steves has some good basic advice for international travel.

he does, however, tend to dumb a lot of things down.

If you've been abroad before, you'll probably find one of the others more to your liking -- personally, I like the DK Eyewitness Guides better, and I see that being carried in various languages at least as often as any of the others.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frommer's, Fodor's or Rick Steves

I like 'Rough Guides'. For French speakers, the 'Routard' guides are very good.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Frommer's, Fodor's or Rick Steves

Not sure if they exist for Paris but the Nat Geo guides are excellent IMO. DK Eyewitness are indeed very good as well. Among the ones you list, I'd go for Frommer's, especially the "day by day" version, which is great for people having little time (be sure however to leave time to explore on your own).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frommer's, Fodor's or Rick Steves

I have the DK Eyewitness guides for Paris & the UK, they have been really helpful! its all laid out in an easy to read format but doesn't dictate you must do this then that (dh & i have a fairly laid back travel style so this suits us, i just like to do a lot of research).

maybe try your local library's travel section to try out the books before you buy one? that way you can also borrow them to have more than the quick flick through you do at the bookstore.

hope you have a great trip!

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Frommer's, Fodor's or Rick Steves

None of them. Better suggestions above. Time Out too.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,061 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frommer's, Fodor's or Rick Steves

I like DK Eyewitness. Rick Steves is good at simplifying, but I find him kind of irritating as he tells you whether things are worth seeing or not and I don't always agree with him. I like Frommer's a little better than Fodor's, but I don't generally use either. I think Time Out is the best for more off the beaten path kinds of things, but I've never looked at the Paris one.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,312 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frommer's, Fodor's or Rick Steves

I'm a bit surprised that you are asking this question. I'm not sure where "elsewhere" is, but you've had over 3K posts. So why are you asking a first-timer question? I like Lonely Planet. If "elsewhere" is US, then Rick's books are good for first-timers. I always check if a guidebook has Ossip Zadkine's studio in it. If it has then I persevere

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,912 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frommer's, Fodor's or Rick Steves

while Steves is American and aims his books at Americans, I'm pretty sure that first-time visitors to Europe from just about anywhere could glean useful information -- they don't check your passport when you by the book.

I wouldn't key my guidebook recommendations on whether or not they include a fairly obscure artist (particularly if you're not a fan of that artist) -- things like opening hours, maps, photos, ease of use, and practicality of information are far more important to most folks.

Edited: 5:33 am, March 07, 2013
elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Frommer's, Fodor's or Rick Steves

Bonjour et merci beacoup for the responses. I will look in to all the suggestions mentioned. I've been to Paris twice (once for pleasure, once for business) .... but it has been many years and I need a refresher course.

Dale 47_11 ... yes, we've traveled to a lot of places (ergo the 3735 posts) but I haven't been to Paris in a long time. I'm sorry that you feel I asked a first timer question.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,986 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frommer's, Fodor's or Rick Steves

How long will you be in Paris? For a short trip the DK Eyewitness Top 10 Paris book would be adequate. Agree with comments about Rick Steves. I like his practical advice, and when I was new to European travel I appreciated that he provided opinions about what to see and not just a list of sights.