We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris City Passport

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Paris City Passport

I cannot find recent posts about this specific pass. My dad and I are looking at the 3-day, so about €99 or $130.

I live in a tourist city and often tell people these types of deals end up being more expensive just for the convenience.

What do you think?

Also, is the hop on hop off bus a must do? Its so funny when I see those in San Francisco, are they really that great?

…parisinfo.com/z6200e2x26827m466g3514_uk-par…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,046 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris City Passport

I have not heard of this pass, but I find it hard to believe that a pass costing €33 per day could be worthwhile.

A four-day Paris Museum Pass costs €54 for 4 days, or €13.50 a day. A 3-day Paris Visite transport pass (which is itself not good value for money) costs €23.40, or €7.80 a day. A 2-day pass for Les Cars Rouges HoHo bus costs €29, or €14.50 a day.

Actually, I just checked on what is included in this Passport, and the cost is about double what it would be if you bought the components separately in Paris.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,943 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris City Passport

This is really a repackaging of the Paris Pass. As Nick points out above, it would be difficult to rationalized spending this much money on something you could otherwise purchase for much less money.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris City Passport

Not only do you pay double, it's unlikely that you'd be able to outrun the pass during its validity.

It would be far better, along with far more economical, to spread the included activities over a longer period of time, anyway.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris City Passport

I truly appreciate the break down. Ill do more research on buying the cruise and museum pass separetely. What are the metro pass options if visite pass isnt a good deal? Is the hop on hop off good for a day or more to get your bearings of the city? Is it even necessary? Is the museum pass even worth it? We would buy the two-day and would probably visit Rodin, d'orsay, the car museum, and a handfull of others.

Also, is Versailles worth the visit in your opinion?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,943 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris City Passport

<<What are the metro pass options if visite pass isnt a good deal? >>

This can be a complex question. However, if you are only going to be in Paris for 3 days, very likely all you will need are groups of individual tickets sold in groups of 10 for 13.50.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,046 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris City Passport

Yes, for a short visit to central Paris, carnets (bundles of 10 ordinary Metro/bus tickets) are usually the best value. For longer stays, a Navigo Decouverte is good, but these run from Monday to Sunday.

A ride on the HoHo bus is not essential, but it can provide a good overview. If you don't buy tickets in advance, you can see what the weather is like.

Whether the Paris Museum Pass would be worthwhile is something only you can work out, as it depends on how many of the included museums you think you will visit. We bought a 7-day Museum Pass for one of our visits to Paris, and found that we visited a number of interesting museums that we might have skipped if we had had to pay an entry fee. You can see what is included at en.parismuseumpass.com/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris City Passport

We are there for 8 full days/9 nights (Fri-Sun) with a 2-day to Nice (Wed-Thur). We have an apartment in the 11th arr. The week pass makes good sense if it covers the whole city, though I do expect to walk a lot as well.

As far as museums I think we will price the top pics individually to see if a 4 day is more or less cost effective.

We can decide on the hoho bus when we het there.

I heard the river cruises are nice, but we could probably wait in that too, depending on weather.

We will be there in late May fyi.

Edited: 1:49 am, March 01, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris City Passport

Ughh typos drive me crazy, stupid phone. Sorry!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,693 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris City Passport

absolutely no need to plan the river cruise -- there are several locations and all you need to do is walk up and go -- if by chance the one ready to go when you arrive is full, there will be another in a few minutes

for a first visit I think a 4 day museum pass is a good idea if you will visit several monuments/museums -- you don't have to save money as long as you are close to breaking even

for an 8 day visit -- if 6 or so of those days fall between Monday-Sunday, a Navigo Decouverte is convenient whether it saves money or not -- for most tourists in good weather with a central hotel or apartment who enjoy walking (the best way to see Paris) a carnet at 13.50 is most cost effective -- you just buy another when you run out

I am not a HOHO bus fan but if it appeals to you, you can buy the ticket from the driver -- the two day ticket is more cost effective --

the kits marketed as 'passports' or whatever are a very poor value

Edited: 10:49 am, March 01, 2013
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris City Passport

That passport pass is a terrible idea - way overpriced, and you'd have to be hoofing it all over Paris 24/7 to even come close to making it worthwhile.. Plus it includes a ton of things most people aren't even interested in seeing.

If you do want to schedule your evening cruise, you can go online at the Vedettes du Pont Neuf website and get a 10% discount, but you might be locked into a particular day and time (I forget), which isn't a good idea because of potential weather issues.

The HOHO buses are fairly pricey, though a lot of people seem to enjoy them. But you can also simply ride the #69 bus, for the price of one ticket, which goes by many of the major sights of Paris. Assuming you'll have a street map of Paris with you, you can use it to get oriented on the bus.

For the Musseum Pass, you'll just need to do the math.