We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reserving ahead for the Eiffel Tower

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Ontario...
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
reserving ahead for the Eiffel Tower

Some guide books recommend reserving ahead for a visit to the top of the Eiffel Tower. We are going in early May 2013. Since we will be staying in Paris for a week, I am wondering if we could not just book at the local Tourist Info office once we arrive in Paris to avoid having to go up on a rainy or cloudy day. Will this result in standing for hours in a long line?

Strategist

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
838 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reserving ahead for the Eiffel Tower

We reserved online for our trip last October and fortunately it was a sunny day. The advantage is that we had a 10:30am reservation and when we approached the empty reservation line at 10 the attendant immediately directed us to the elevator.......no wait at all. I say take a chance and reserve.

There are also stunning views from top of Notre Dame, Tour Montparnasse and the Arc De Triomphe and you can hit them at your discretion.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
250 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reserving ahead for the Eiffel Tower

Hi,

I have booked online, as I heard from many we need to stand in a long queue otherwise. My query is : if there is any timeline for visitors ? If they can stay at the top at long as they want (I mean at least 2-3 hours) ?

I have booked a 4pm time slot so that I can cover the evening lights as well :)

Regards,

Kumardip

Edited: 4:58 am, February 22, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reserving ahead for the Eiffel Tower

The pre-booking is ONLY online - there is no desk to go to buy pre-booked tickets.

You're correct to hesitate, Maureen, as there are no refunds and no exchanges -- if it's raining/cloudy/foggy at your booked time, that's what you live with. It is always, always possible to buy tickets onsite -- and if you arrive early or late, the lines are generally quite manageable, if the elevators are working properly. The good news is that the weather in May is usually not too awful.

There is no time limit for your visit -- you could, in theory, enter first thing in the morning and not leave until the guards shooed you out at closing time.

Kumardip, I hope you're visiting in December, because that's the only time of year that a 4:30 pm ticket will win you evening lights. In June and July, the sun doesn't go down until 10pm, and it's not truly dark until nearly midnight. Even now, in the gloom of late February, the sun is setting at 6:30 pm.

Edited: 5:18 am, February 22, 2013
sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reserving ahead for the Eiffel Tower

I have just booked a ticket, which is only for second floor as I have heard it is just as good there, and not as windy. I thought I was in plenty of time, for late March, but to my horror, there are hardly any tickets available now for the whole week we are there. My friend is determined to go up and not use the stairs and I promised her we would be able to book without booking a resatuarant, so I went ahead with the earliest booking all week. I kid you not ity was for 10pm on a Wednesday . At least we will see the lights of the city. There was only one more slot all week and that was 11pm on a Thursday. So yes I would keep looking and for May book now. And yes there is no refund for bad weather. I have just heard a radio interview where someone was allowed up , but not down in bad weather, and others not allowed up. Dont know what happens in that circumstance as they would have to give you your money back or offer you a new time that suited you. But the other point about that was that the person thought it was awesome being there in a storm and wind. Maybe it is the whole experience of going up the Eifel tower and we should not worry about the weather. After all, there are better places to see Paris from up high, say les Galleries etc, the ET is for the experience itself. Oh and I am also spending time on the grass below for sunset and seeing the Tower light up, and the people also enjoying it with us.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reserving ahead for the Eiffel Tower

There are no refunds or exchanges for bad weather - even if they have to close it for inclement weather.

You can also purchase tickets to the summit from the ticket windows on the 2nd floor.

It really isn't the end of the world to queue at the base to buy tickets -- get there early in the morning (they open at 9am) or later in the afternoon, and it is usually quite manageable.

Twice in July I went with visitors, and was at the summit less than an hour after we arrived (once at 9:15 and once at 9:30 -- not even when they opened!)

London, Ontario...
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reserving ahead for the Eiffel Tower

thanks for your replies. I am still not sure which way to go, but will consider all of your comments carefully.

Strategist

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: reserving ahead for the Eiffel Tower

thank you Sunshine 817 for the clarification. Can you buy the tickets early for a different time than when you get to the ticket Office? I was thinking we might even do it twice on different days if we can get an earlier time than the booked one.

8. Re: reserving ahead for the Eiffel Tower

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 24, 2014