We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hi-Vis Jacket

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
903 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Hi-Vis Jacket

Not sure where to post this: What is a HI-VIS jacket and are they required by law for all passengers taking a tour in a vehicle while in France?

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hi-Vis Jacket

Taking a tour? No. The law is that the driver must have one, although I believe that some companies do carry them for all passengers. We do, I am not sure if bus companies do. To comply with the law, you don't have to buy your own before you go on a tour. http://www.hivis.net/

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hi-Vis Jacket

HI-Vis = High Visibility. It would like the jackets road crews wear. Can't imagine that it would be a law that people taking a tour in a vehicle would need to wear them. Where did you hear this?

3. Re: Hi-Vis Jacket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:13 pm, December 21, 2015
Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hi-Vis Jacket

I may be wrong but I think the law changed recently so that EACH passenger must have a high vis jacket.They must be accessible from within the vehicle i.e. not in the boot (trunk)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,156 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hi-Vis Jacket

IIRC This was going to go into effect for motorcyclists but has been postponed. (Unless I'm thinking of a proposed law in England)

But if it does go into effect I could see it applying to people on Sequey's too.

Pjk

Edited: 12:50 pm, February 20, 2013
Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,595 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hi-Vis Jacket

if the law has changed, they've done a magnificent job of keeping it a secret.

One for the driver is required. Most folks we know carry more one for everyone just because they're cheap and it's a good idea.

LIncoln, NE
Level Contributor
903 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hi-Vis Jacket

Guess I'll have to do more research. There seems to be conflicting advice. We're renting a car, so hopefully our rental agency will know. But I sure hope we don't have to put one on each time we leave the car. Wow So much to learn about France before we go. Thanks for all the posts. I appreciate your time.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hi-Vis Jacket

Every rental car has one. The only rule for passengers is that if the car pulls to the side of the motorway for any reason, the passengers must get out of the car and stay behind the protective railing.

9. Re: Hi-Vis Jacket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:13 pm, December 21, 2015
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hi-Vis Jacket

You needn't put on a high visibility jacket whenever you leave the car. It is only in case you have an accident or your car breaks down and is stopped in the middle of the road or partly on the road, so drivers can see you when you exit the vehicle and slow down. It's for your own safety in emergency situations only.

There is no conflicting advice, the law is clear: there should be a jacket within easy reach of the driver's seat in each vehicle.