We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rats - am I too late?

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Rats - am I too late?

I just jumped on the Eiffel Tower website to purchase lift tickets to the summit. We will be there for just 2 days March 8 and 9. I wanted to purchase tickets for the 8th but they are completely sold out. Does anyone know if the advanced tickets sometimes open up? I wonder if since it's spring break perhaps it's a busier time...

I imagine this doesn't preclude us from going up though does it? We will just have to queue longer I guess? If anyone has any experience here I would appreciate some comments and pointers. Also we were thinking of going up around 4:30 (16:30) to the top unless someone has a thought of a better time. Thanks!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,185 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Rats - am I too late?

Well I have done the stairs to the second level, and I would not say they were "very easy" but I would say they are easy enough for any healthy person from 10 and up. If one is elderly or has bad knees, no they would not be a good idea.

I was 45 first time I did them. I do not go to gyms. I do not jog. I do not do strength training. I did them because the line was stupid long for the elevator ( it was summer time) and the line for the stairs was short.

Once you walk up to second level you can line up for ticket to take elvator to top.

You also can take the elevator down for FREE as you only show ticket for going up. Going down the stairs is harder then going up .

Lastly, the "champane bar" on the top level is a JOKE. Its a concession window and you get a plastic glass of champane for 10 euros , with which you will then just be jostled around elbow to elbow with other tourists, no nice seating area or anything. Do not bother.

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Rats - am I too late?

Joan thanks for the great info in your post. I run about 3-4 times a week (when not feeling lazy) but I do have sketchy knees so I'm not overly enthused about the stairs. That being said I think we will just wait and see what the line is like. After indulging for a week in London and Paris maybe hiking the stairs is EXACTLY what I need! Haha! Oh and good tip on the champagne bar. Not surprised really...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Rats - am I too late?

Do a Google search for Eiffel Tower Champagne Bar and choose images to see what it looks like.

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Rats - am I too late?

mcal, I just checked out Les Ombres and it looks fantastic! I plan to book a table there. The menu looks wonderful and priced at what I would expect for a restaurant of that caliber in Paris. Anyone been that has an opinion?

Florida
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Rats - am I too late?

I'm sure there is a TA restaurant review for it.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Rats - am I too late?

What are the chances of getting tickets on arrival by waiting in line? No more tickets are available online for my date either.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,185 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Rats - am I too late?

TravelLover you can always get a ticket and go up by waiting in line, the online feature is only a small portion of ticket available..

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Rats - am I too late?

So we arrived today and walked to the Tour Eiffel. No Pre booked ticket to go up and the queue was from here to Miami. No loss though honestly, Mcal Was right. It was a silver lining gift. We had a great leisurely lunch in a cafe, had no schedule and walked over at our own pace. We have even canceled our Les Ombres reservations in favor of a nice Italian cafe. The best laid plans... As much as I love to plan there is so my h to be said for going with the flow. Having a great time and tomorrow is our last day of a great vacation.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,243 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Rats - am I too late?

I'm so happy for you, RP8133. You sound very content. And you still have a day left to explore! Lucky you!

Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Rats - am I too late?

We have had such a great trip! AlbertaPeng on another post recommended a cheese shop and that was a priority to hit and we did. The tower is very cool but seriously now I remember why I never went up. Like lines at Disney world. No thanks. Just wandering around enjoying ourselves. Nowhere to be at any particular time. Bliss. PS if Ayone needs a fantastic London hotel check out my review coming up on Renaissance St. Pancras. WOW!!!