We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Paris/Fete De La Musique.

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
3 posts
Save Topic
First time in Paris/Fete De La Musique.

Hello everyone! We are planning on visiting Paris for the first time with the intention of checking out the Fete De La Musique on the 21st of June.

Would appreciate advice:

- lodging where theres a lot of sights and action for the budget concious.

- avoid tourist traps

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Paris/Fete De La Musique.

While the Fete is a very pleasant day and evening, it isn't a big enough event to schedule a trip around...but since you did, there will be events in every district in Paris, and these events will be published on the 20th and 21st in the local papers.

So choose a neighborhood that meets your taste and budget, and plan the rest on the day. Nothing is very far from anything in central Paris.

Los Angeles
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Paris/Fete De La Musique.

Thanks Sunshine. Which budget friendly yet convenient neighborhood would you suggest? Very open to suggestions.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Paris/Fete De La Musique.

Depends on your definition of budget but generally, any 2-digit district (ie farther from the Seine) will be cheaper thant the 1-digit ones. This is especially the case for the Northern and Eastern ones (18, 19, 20).

IIRC, on Fete de la musique, there are special mass transportation schedules (and tariffs) to make it easier to criss-cross Paris whatever the time of night.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Paris/Fete De La Musique.

We have a huge poster - affiche - from Fete de la Musique in 2011 mounted on our familiy room wall. We thought it was fabulous - and we just hung around the 1st arrondissement. We missed the orchestral performance under the pyramid at the Louvre - a long line of people cried out in good-natured anguish as the attendants came and stood in the line, signifying those who would get in and those who would not. We went instead to a recital in the Oratoire and then wandered back through the Palais Royale (huge stage for ethnic African performances) and along rue St Honore: multiple performances of music styles including jazz and rock and roll with jiving in the street, and a great electronic rock band that performed at the junction with rue de l'Arbre Sec. It was a wonderful feeling - and at the end of it, after midnight, everyone went quiety on their way. I wax lyrical any time anyone asks us about it - thanks for the chance!! If there is a next time we might consider La Defense - the huge open areas there would lend themselves to something pretty exciting I would think. But we loved the feel in the 1st.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Paris/Fete De La Musique.

we were at the Fete a few years ago -- it was a lot of fun. I have a few pictures from our night here:

…wordpress.com/2010/…

Some of the popular venues fill up quickly -- but there are lots of informal events all over. lots of fun.

Los Angeles
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Paris/Fete De La Musique.

Great ideas! I'll research those places you guys mentioned and read up your blog post :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Paris/Fete De La Musique.

Its the best night in Paris of the year.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,911 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Paris/Fete De La Musique.

Check out www.festival-saint-denis.com. I went 2 years ago and loved it. I've got tickets for Mozart's Symphonie No 41 on 11 june. Book your tickets on line, go to the Basilica in the afternoon to see the fabulous tombs of the Kings and Queens of France (fee), pick up your tickets, have a lovely dinner in one of the restaurants opposite - outside - and then a wonderful concert in the Basilica. Fabulous!!!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Paris/Fete De La Musique.

I was there a couple years ago and attended a performance at the gardens of Palais Royal. Will be there again this year, but am looking for a schedule of venues. I am having trouble walking and would like to pick the areas that are having performances I can easily get to.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Paris/Fete De La Musique.

If we can possibly work our schedule to be there for the Fête, we do. First year, we simply went up to Montmartre, where nearby, Manu Chao was playing, and there was a pretty good rock cover band playing in the square. But the best part was the manouche guitar at Au Clairon des Chasseurs, which ended up being a way for us to find out more about Parisian jazz and guitar.

Then, we walked back through Montmartre and Pigalle, where there were street parties emphasizing electronica (I love electronica) and so many street parties.

Another year, we really enjoyed most of the amateurish early performances in the Latin Quartier, but didn't enjoy the intense crowds in that area later at night. We ran into Johnny Hallady and Donald Sutherland (with instruments) but they were walking from place to place looking for some place to busk.

We have enjoyed the classical and church performances too - there's always something different.

It's hard to find a complete schedule of venues, keep googling. Also check the various major monuments for their calendars.