We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

finding the perfect Paris Apartment (the hunt begins again)

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
finding the perfect Paris Apartment (the hunt begins again)

hello all

I will be in Paris at the end of August (21st) for 5 nights, and have started the hunt for that perfect apartment.

I was in Paris in 2009, and trying to find the right apartment just did my head in. I was just so confused because of so many choices. Back in 2009 we travelled with children so there were 4 of us, and we rented from VacationInParis.(which was great). We had an apartment around Centre Pompidou. And it was such a great place. we loved it and for the 16 and 20yr olds it was lively and fun.

now it is just my husband and myself (early 50's) and this is the first time in 25 years that we will be venturing out on our own.

I am looking for a lovely apartment just for the 2 of us. a little bit more of a grown up feel, and I think I would like to try another area. Am leaning towards the 6th Arrondissement.

does anyone have suggestions of an apartment they rented and loved. Looking at price of about $200usd a night for a one bedroom.

thanks in advance

millie.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: finding the perfect Paris Apartment (the hunt begins again)

I know the feeling, we're off to Paris next week. Eventually decided on the following. http://www.vrbo.com/290006

Communications with the owner so far have been excellent, so fingers crossed it's as good as it looks online. Gets great reviews.

Enjoy your trip.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
239 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: finding the perfect Paris Apartment (the hunt begins again)

It took forever for us to find out apartment in Paris bc I over-thought it, but we ended up finally choosing a place.... I used AirBNB.com to find our apartment. We are going in April.

Couple of tips:

1) contact the owner to ask about "extra costs" not included on what's written there - for example, one guy was going to charge an extra 70 euros for us to check in on a Sunday or between 8pm and 8am. Kind of silly. That was not in his listing. Also ask about extra security deposits or verify only what is on AirBNB is the security deposit expected of you.

2) Think about what you need - a hair dryer? A tall shower? stand up shower - or are you OK with a tub you sit in to bathe with (saw a lot of those on AirBNB!)

3) Think about if you want to be walking distance to sights or if you would want to take Metro more often

4) Does it have a working "lift" or stairs only?

5) Ask if they provide clean towels and sheets. And bc I am OCD I like to lay a sheet or towel down in my suitcase and pile my clothes on top of that, and then wrap the sheet around my clothes then zip it up - if that makes sense.

6) Lastly, just my personal opinion but others are free to disagree with me, I found that people who had the apartment exclusively to rent to tourists tended to have better feedback, better response time, and better anticipate the tourists needs. For example, extra towels and what not.

7) Oh - I also read on another forum that if you go in a hot month, try to avoid staying at the very top floor of a building bc it tends to get hot, so make sure there's an AC if that's the case. I read another commenter post that somewhere.

Good luck!! Please don't overthink it like I did. I had an entire excel spreadsheet dedicated to my apartment hunt- lol!

Edited: 3:16 am, February 09, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: finding the perfect Paris Apartment (the hunt begins again)

Since you had a good experience with VIP, here are three that might suit you. I only looked for 1BR with VIP that were no more than 2 floors up, since a lot of their apartments are walk-ups.

Have a look at #139, #229 and #266. All are in good locations and they look very nice.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: finding the perfect Paris Apartment (the hunt begins again)

I have had excellent experience with Paris At Home:

http://parisathome.fr/uk/ukindex.htm

The area, the 12th, is perfect - especially if you want to get out of touristy Paris (IMHO, the 6th is still touristy). It's a great neighborhood with wonderful restaurants and shopping. I usually stay at the Traversiere which is close to three Metro stations (including Gare de Lyon).

I've rented that apartment twice - it comes equipped with just about everything you'll need and includes a baguette for your first breakfast, along with jams, butters, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. There are also all sorts of spices in the cabinets for cooking.

The owners are very nice and they have several properties - I'm sure you will find one to meet your needs.

California
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: finding the perfect Paris Apartment (the hunt begins again)

A friend of mine has stayed in VRBO #122 and liked it. Right at your budget and in the area you'd like.

www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_122.htm

If you're interested, PM me and I can send a link to her review of the apartment.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: finding the perfect Paris Apartment (the hunt begins again)

I agree with Annette, another good possibility.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: finding the perfect Paris Apartment (the hunt begins again)

thank you all for your suggestions - i will check them all out.

STraj3786 - thank you for the tips. i really did not think that much about it all.

one thing that I am really fussy about is how the bed looks in the pictures, and would prefer something Queen size. Some of the beds look unappealing and small:)

8. Re: finding the perfect Paris Apartment (the hunt begins again)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:25 pm, February 10, 2015
Edited: 7:25 pm, February 10, 2015
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: finding the perfect Paris Apartment (the hunt begins again)

If you want to save some money why not try the PERFECT HOTEL /APARTMENTS OR HOTEL . it's in Montmartre area not far from Sacred Cour. Simple accomodation in a good spot. We're staying there again in April. I'd rather spen money on other things. Clean and adequate!

10. Re: finding the perfect Paris Apartment (the hunt begins again)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, February 28, 2013