We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Paris to Antibes getting cheapest fare

Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Train Paris to Antibes getting cheapest fare

I was trying to book train Paris to Antibes for mid-April and tried to use the http://www.idtgv.com/fr/reserver/ but there is no train Paris/Antibes listed (closest is Nice or Cannes). I found the train I want on RailEurope UK site but since I am from US it won't let me book it - the address form forces UK addresses only, you cannot change country when filling in credit card billing info. In the past it's been recommended to say you are from the UK as it is cheaper than US, but it appears to no longer work. Fares via the US site are double. Any suggestions?

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Paris to Antibes getting cheapest fare

Try TGV-Europe using Great Britain as your home country.

When I just went through the booking process, you can pay with PayPal now. Do you have a PayPal account?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Paris to Antibes getting cheapest fare

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Paris to Antibes getting cheapest fare

Thanks for both suggestions. This looks like it works. My understanding is that second class is ok, not worth extra money for first class?

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Paris to Antibes getting cheapest fare

For short journeys, probably not worth the extra. For long journeys, up to you. You do get more space and it does tend to be quieter.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Paris to Antibes getting cheapest fare

There is little difference between first and second. Because of the way that ticket sales work, you may occasionally find you can travel in first for only a few euros more than second, so it might then be worthwhile.

Otherwise, save your money for another glass or two of wine.

Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Paris to Antibes getting cheapest fare

Thanks. I went for 2nd class and got fare of 50 euros for 2. First class was more than double and it's exactly 90 days out.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Paris to Antibes getting cheapest fare

Glad you were successful!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,652 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Paris to Antibes getting cheapest fare

BTW all TGVs stop in Antibes whether listed on that site or not.

Ed

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Paris to Antibes getting cheapest fare

Sydney,

Hope you might clarify.....

Summer 2013 - going from Toulouse (Matabiau) to Antibes and then, 10 days later, from Antibes to Paris....(Gare de Montparnasse-hopefully)

Last year.....stupidly over paid for ER Pass Benelux/1st class/

+ reservations....in from Amsterdam (summer 2012).... bought from US website.......

Q? Booking 2nd class advised?

Q? 2nd class - Are reservation(s) tickets needed? Need guaranteed seats.....

Q? ER 1 country or France rail pass? Should I consider ER passes or just try point to point ...........

Thanks for your help...............

Edited: 12:10 pm, January 18, 2013
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Paris to Antibes getting cheapest fare

Book point to point tickets in advance and you will get a reserved seats automatically on TGVs and some other trains. Your train from Antibes to Paris will get into Gare du Lyon not Montparnasse.