We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pros/Cons of Renting Apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
443 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Pros/Cons of Renting Apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes

Hello. We are 2 adults travelling with our 3 children (<2, 7 & 10 yrs old) for our first trip to France. We are considering to rent an apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes. We'll be in Paris for 4 days/3 nights from Saturday to Tuesday in April 2013.

1) What would be the advantages / disadvantages of staying in this location?

2) Is this place okay to base ourselves for sightseeing in Paris?

3) What attractions or natural parks, etc, are available in this area that would be interesting for our children (they like museums, outdoor activities and enjoy eating too :))

Thanks in advance for your input.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pros/Cons of Renting Apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes

Sounds like an ideal location! The Jardin des Plantes itself will be a good place to take your children - there is a zoo, which I imagine they would like. You wil have easy access to three metro lines (5, 7 and 10) plus RER C and several bus routes.

If you would like to post a link to the specific apartment then you can get more advice/any potential disadvantages to beware of.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pros/Cons of Renting Apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes

Love this area of Paris. No major disadvantages. Main advantage? You'll get a real sense of Paris away from the screaming hordes. See my recent review on the Cafe d'Avant for a great value 'child friendly' bistro.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pros/Cons of Renting Apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes

Thanks. How about if it's our base for walking Paris?

The link is http://www.vrbo.com/289244

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pros/Cons of Renting Apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes

Nowhere in Paris is going to be perfect for walking everywhere with three kids!

However this are IS great for walking and you are within easy reach of Notre Dame, the Latin quarter...

Places like the Eiffel Tower, Montmatre are an easy bus or metro ride away.

You are not far from the 67 bus which is a good route for Chatelet, the Louvre,Montmartre.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pros/Cons of Renting Apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes

Assuming you put the youngest child in a stroller, then you can walk to Notre Dame. I don't think you would get a 7-year-old walking a lot further than that, but you know your own children. If you look on a street plan, you can easily see where everything is in relation to one another.

Public transport is very easy to use and you have plenty of easy connections from where you are staying. If you are using a stroller for the little one, you may find buses easier than metro, although with 2 adults, you should be ok.

I will just point out - as others certainly will - that the apartment you are looking at is on the 4th floor European - that is 5th American, i.e. 4 floors up. A healthy 7 and 10 year old should have no problem with this, but you will probably have to carry the little one, plus the stroller. You will be strongly advised against doing this - but it's *your* choice!! You know your own capabilities, and what you are used to doing at home.

Edited: 6:05 am, January 06, 2013
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pros/Cons of Renting Apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes

This is a fabulous location. There is easy access to several métro lines and within easy walking distance of Notre Dame and Arènes Lutèce. There is great shopping on rue Monge just to the west: cheese shops, butchers, bakeries, supermarket, sandwich shops, cafés, etc. and an open air market; one on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and another a block or two away on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Jardin des Plantes is a beautiful place and it has a zoo and museum. Being on rue Daubenton the apartment should not have much street noise. The only drawback I see is having to walk up four floors with a toddler and stroller. I love this area of Paris; it is my absolute favorite part of Paris, not too touristy and has a local "real Parisian" feel to it.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pros/Cons of Renting Apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes

I love this area. As others have said very convenient for the children to run about in the park and the Musee national d'Histoire Naturelle is just inside the parc, which is usually very interesting for children with it's dinosaurs etc.

http://www.mnhn.fr/le-museum/

The Mosque de Paris is also nearby with a lovely tea garden and tearooms, where you can get mint tea and sticky cakes very cheap and also very good food in the restaurant.

If you are brave enough there is a hamman in the Mosque. This is my usual Paris treat, and I shall be there next week.

The only thing I would point out is that this apartment is described as two bedrooms but I do not think there are two separate bedrooms. The 2nd "bedroom" is really the sitting room which converts to a bedroom when the sofa beds are pulled out. I may be wrong but best to check.

This may be fine for you, but if you are planning for the children to sleep in the 2nd "bedroom" then you will be stuck after they have gone to bed in your own bedroom.

Denise

Love from England

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pros/Cons of Renting Apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes

When I rented an apt. in the 9th last year I was on the ground floor and there was one of those tiny cage-like elevators that I find so charming in the older buildings in Europe. The building with filled with families and I noticed they all left their strollers in a little room/space on the ground floor -- they did not take the stroller up the stairs or use the elevator. (Also I never saw any of the families use the elevator even thought it was working -- everyone walked up the stairs -- -- healthy healthy!) Perhaps your building will have some space/room like this -- you could ask the landlord.

An apt. I rented in the 12th had no elevator so the families just left their strollers in the lobby -- no special space/room. No problems apparently.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,392 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pros/Cons of Renting Apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes

the single most important piece of information in an ad for an apartment is sqm -- that is not present here that I could find -- this suggests a very cramped place which the pictures also suggest e.g. no good shot of the dining room table which appears not to seat the 5 that the apartment purports to house -- why are they not telling people how big the place is?

the second most important thing is a floor plan which is particularly important when it is not clear if the second bedroom is also the salon -- some less than forthcoming owners pretend that a one bedroom apartment is a two bedroom by including the living room as a bedroom because the couch opens up

I can't tell if that is the case here or not from the description

I also don't consider this a luxury apartment as advertised by looking at the pictures. it is hardly luxury to have to walk up 5 flights and the place looks shabby and cramped. the 'king size' bed does not look at all like a king size bed (and pictures really are your friend in judging an apartment. the only time I believed the words instead of my eyes, the eyes had it and we didn't have a big enough bed for the two of us) the rest of the furniture is jammed in -- imagine the bedroom with the couch and futon single extended

no way I would walk up this many flights with a toddler and stroller to this apartment.

the location, however is great, especially with kids

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pros/Cons of Renting Apartment next to Jardin Des Plantes

Thank you all for the great feedback! To summarise, I won't have to worry at all about food. I am still a little nervous about catching public transport for fear of going the total opposite direction, especially so if it was on the metro. Other than knowing bus nos., do the bus stops provide clear information on destinations/stops made; and is this information available in English?

We do not speak French so this makes it that bit more difficult. I was planning to go on foot to the main areas and then use the hop on/off bus or batobus to move around the main sights in the event all the little feet and adult ones too get tired.

As for being on a *very* high floor, that is probably our main point of discussion. Especially since my husband will be the one to carry the toddler. We are happy with the location, especially with the input given by everyone so far (in addition to our own personal preferences) but we'll need to consider the hike up. With toddler alone - should be fine. But with stroller as well, I'd need to check options. Maddietravel: Thanks for pointing out about storage/room for strollers. I will check with the owner regarding this. And we'd really have to be super organised and not accidentally leave anything at the apartment before leaving for our outing. Going up once a day would suffice. Janet: I've inquired from owner re privacy/separate access to the bedrooms and size as well.

We do have another option in this link http://www.vrbo.com/53146 - We wanted to be closer to Jardin Des Plantes and was worried this is a bit too far? Thoughts on this location and comparison feedback would be much appreciated, thanks.