We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice restaraunt....college student budget

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
nice restaraunt....college student budget

I'm taking my girlfriend to Paris the first week of March and I'd like to take her out to eat some place nice one night. Something that maybe requires a jacket.....but has a reasonable price. I know those these may be mutually exclusive...but does anyone have any suggestions? A romantic atmosphere is a must.

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: nice restaraunt....college student budget

I should have mentioned.....we're staying at the Hotel de la Porte Doree....I think it's in the 12E...I don't remember off of the top of my head. So a restaurant in this area would be preferrable. I'd like to keep it below 60 euros total. Thanks for your help.

Kensington, MD...
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: nice restaraunt....college student budget

Jimmy,

Keeping dinner for 2 below 60 euros might be a little tight. Generally, try to find something in a neighborhood that doesn't have a lot of tourists (i.e., avoid the Marais, St-Germain, Champs-Elysees). Whatever your restaurant choice, economize by ordering a carafe of wine rather than a bottle--that'll cut your bill by at least 10 euros.

You might try Le Petit Picard on rue Ste-Croix de la Bretonnerie in the 4th. It's very inexpensive, but the food is quite good. The only complaint I have is that they don't change the menu frequently and those of us who are in Paris regularly get a little bored with it. I wouldn't necessarily consider it "romantic" but it's definitely a restaurant and not just a cafe or bistrot.

Another option--actually much better but beginning to skirt your budget--is Aux Trois Petits Cochons on rue Tiquetonne in the 3rd. This is an exceptionally good restaurant that is very charming. It's on a tiny pedestrian street and your girlfriend will be impressed that you've managed to find it. It has a large gay following, but certainly not exclusively. The three-course menu is right at 30 euros, so a bottle of wine (20-30 euros) won't be in the budget. You can take a look at today's menu by going to www.auxtroispetitscochons.com.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: nice restaraunt....college student budget

I don't think that you are going to find a jacket required, as very few and really only very expensive places require that these days. But there are many restaurants where you would feel comfortable in a jacket. One of them is La Cigale Recamier. It is a sophisticated place and specializes in souffles, which may suit the mood you are going for.

We generally spend 70 euros on a meal for two, but you could get a carafe of water instead of bottled, order a half bottle of wine and share a dessert, or skip first course.

4 Rue R��camier, 01-45-48-86-58, (M) Sevres Babylone

USA
Level Contributor
27,318 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nice restaraunt....college student budget

Have a look at this charming little restaurant, tucked away on a little side-street in the 5th-Latin Quarter, to see if it's something like you had in mind--

RESTAURANT Le COUPE-CHOU--11 rue Lanneau (at impasse Chartier), 75005, Metro: Maubert-Mutualite

http://www.lecoupechou.com/

The price may exceed you budget by a bit (but not that much) but should do quite nicely in other respects. The Left Bank quais of the Seine is nearby for strolling along after-dinner.

Kensington, MD...
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: nice restaraunt....college student budget

If you're going to check out rue Lanneau, you might also want to consider Le Petit Prince de Paris. Similar price, look to Coupe Chou. The front of the restaurant was painted by Van Gogh, so you could always pick up a print of the painting somewhere as a souvenir of your trip.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: nice restaraunt....college student budget

Try Le jardin d'artemis on rue mouffetard in the 5th. Rue Mouffetard is a fun place to be at night and this is a small, very intimate place with wonderful food in your price range. We go there every time we are in Paris. Also, up the street on the Contrascarpe are 2 nice looking restaurants facing the square and the fountain: Delman's and La Contrascarpe. Never been there but they have atmosphere. don't know about price.

USA
Level Contributor
27,318 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nice restaraunt....college student budget

>>>Something that maybe requires a jacket.....but has a reasonable price.<<<

I can't think of any Parisian restaurants, bistrots or cafes (even neighborhood tobacs) that bar a gentleman from wearing a jacket or (saints preserve us) tie as well. Regardless of the establishment, dress-UP as much as you like. There are a great many who might like to see more restaurant patrons dressed-DOWN---to make them feel more comfortable---but that doesn't mean that you should feel compelled to dress-DOWN also.

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: nice restaraunt....college student budget

wow....some great recommendations...thank you all! I think le Coupe Chou is absolutely perfect. My girlfriend is an artist and I really think she would appreciate the Van Gogh history, and would love to take a print home of the restaurant we went dined at. I think we'll go with that. We may try to hit up one of the others if we have another free night.....and any money left! Thanks again!

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: nice restaraunt....college student budget

also...does anyone know the name of the Van Gogh painting of the Coupe Chou? I'm having difficulty finding the print. Thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
27,318 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nice restaraunt....college student budget

>>>also...does anyone know the name of the Van Gogh painting of the Coupe Chou? I'm having difficulty finding the print. Thanks.<<<

I think you've confused Restaurant Le Coupe-Chou, (which though charming, has no association with VanGigh that I'm aware of) with another recommendation for Restaurant Le PETIT PRINCE de PARIS across the street. This is the one that is supposed to have been painted by VanGogh. Though a pleasant enough little place......by comparison, while it may be a bit less expensive than Le Coupe-Chou, it doesn't really compare for either food or ambience and you may feel as if you've been 'packed in' like a Metro car at rush-hour if they are busy.