We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to airport and back in same day-- best transp?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
to airport and back in same day-- best transp?

I will be arriving 1 or 2 days ahead of my teenage niece in June so I will to need to go CDG and back again in the same day from central Paris to pick her up. I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. Do I just buy RER tickets (2 for me one for her) or get a Mobilis 1-5 for me? Is there another option? Thanks for any suggestions you can make.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to airport and back in same day-- best transp?

The Mobilis 1-5 will not be valid to/from CDG.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to airport and back in same day-- best transp?

You can buy 3 one-way RER tickets, but by then you'll spend about E37. For only E10-E15 more you can go door to door with a taxi.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to airport and back in same day-- best transp?

Least expensive would be ordinary RER tickets between CDG and central Paris, costing €9.25 per person each way: total cost €37. If you use taxis, that would be three trips at around €50 each: total cost around €150.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,392 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to airport and back in same day-- best transp?

we had the same issue last year when our daughter arrived with our grandchild and we wanted to assist her in on the RER (she didn't have a car seat or we would have had her taxi in. ) we just bought RER tickets --

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: to airport and back in same day-- best transp?

Well DUH, sydneynick. I must have used up all my brain cells earlier in the year. Thank goodness I'm starting fresh for the new year.

Of course, you're right. The RER would be best, economically.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: to airport and back in same day-- best transp?

Don't take it to heart, HappyGoin. We all get it wrong sometimes!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: to airport and back in same day-- best transp?

Before reading Nick's answer i was scratching my head at Happy Goin's answer :-)

Many thanks.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: to airport and back in same day-- best transp?

Why would you need to go out to CDG to pick up a teenager who has just independently flown across the Atlantic? Unless she is completely helpless, she can walk straight out to the taxi rank, hand the driver your written address, and zip into Paris to meet you. Nothing complicated about it.

The €50 cab fare would be mostly buffered by the three one way RER tickets you would not have to buy. By doing that, you avoid the potential of missing each other at the airport if her flight is early or late.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: to airport and back in same day-- best transp?

I did consider that but because she is indeed flying from California and will be a bit dazed after the flight I am going to meet her at the airport. UNLESS she insists on being independent (I hope I hope...). But really I don't think her parents would want me to leave her on her own.

10. Re: to airport and back in same day-- best transp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 05, 2014