We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
90 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

We are headed to Paris next June, for a 3 night stay in the french capital. And wondering which of the following would prove useful areas to stay, in regards to the metro/ RER and the major sights of the city???

Near Oberkampf area.(Nr St Maur and St Ambroise Metro)

Between Opera and Montmartre (Nr Cadet Metro)

11th arrondissement (Near St Maur and Pere Lachaise Metro)

6th arrondissement (Near Luxembourg Garden, Vavin (line 4), Raspail (line 6, 4), Notre Dame des Champs (line 12)

Menilmontant (Near Metro Rue Saint-Maur (line 3) and Menilmontant (line 2) )

9th district, (Le Peletier Metro) Near Galeries Lafayette, Saint Lazare station and Montmartre

Near Bastille (2 mins to Charonne Metro)

Jourdain/ Bellvile (close to Père Lachaise metro)

6th region, Odeon, (nr Metro Odeon)

Montmartre/sacre coeur (Abbesses and Anvers Metro)

Nr Buttes Chaumont Garden and Ourcq's sluice. (Nr Crimee and Riquet Metro)

All help is greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Daniel

Melbourne
Level Contributor
90 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

Back to this old conundrum...Cheers for the words, Disney. However, we have zero interest in visiting Disney, the same can be said of Versailles...Our main aims are likely the effiel tower, louvre, hermes, montmatre/sacre couer, champ elysee, pantheon, notre dame, pompidou...and whatever else we can fit in.

presently we are weighing up making a booking in Buttes-Chaumont - Belleville...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

. 1st choice would be 6th near odeon then 6th near Luxembourg.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

Hi,

When I stayed in Paris in May 2009, I stayed at a great little boutique hotel called the Hotel Aviatic, located in the 6th here:

http://goo.gl/maps/GgPZ0

It was close to several Metro stations, which I used extensively, but I also walked from the hotel to the Eiffel Tower, the Musee d'Orsay, and Notre Dame. (I enjoy walking the the back streets away from the tourists and getting a feel for everyday life in the city.)

There weren't many shops or restaurants adjacent to the hotel, but all you had to do was turn the corner onto Blvd du Montparnasse and there were plenty.

Also, when you're checking out Notre Dame, don't miss Saint Chappelle on the Ile de la Cite as well. The stained glass in the much smaller, intimate chapel is stunning.

Enjoy your trip.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

Based on your other posts, i would not recommend Belleville/Buttes-Chaumont, since you will need to use metro or bus to get to all the places on your list. Based purely in terms of location/proximity to the places you have listed, I would recommend staying closer to the river (1st, 4th, 5th or 6th arrondissements or possibly 3rd)

But, having said that, if you really like the place in Belleville, go for it! You will only need to travel in on the metro once or twice a day (depending whether you want to return to base for a rest at some point during the day) so it's not really a major issue.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,323 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

I love that Hermes is in the same league as the Eiffel , the Louvre, the Notre Dame.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
90 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

Finally , after much discussion, we decided to rent a lovely studio between St Germain en pres and Odeon for $AU59 per night. It seems a decent location central to most of where we wish to visit. As for the mention of Hermes...its my own Queen's demand! I will thank everyone for their input and slowly create a loose plan of our 4 day 3 night trip over the coming months...wishing you all a happy new year, cheers, Daniel

Narragansett RI
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

Having been many times to Paris and considering your time criteria, I recommend staying in the St. Michel area. Optimize your time getting to and from your hotel. You can easily get to Place St Michel using the RER and also avoid any stairs with your luggage. (There is an elevator to exit the station. I am planning on visiting Paris with a group of 9 in June for a week. Ther are many hotels to chose from depending on your budget. If interested, I can recommend some...

I always recommend a city tour to get a close up sampling of the major sites... Paris Vision tours come to mind and offer short and long tours of this great city. You can return to the attractions that have been prioritized.

Bon Voyage!

Narragansett RI
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

Having been many times to Paris and considering your time criteria, I recommend staying in the St. Michel area. Optimize your time getting to and from your hotel. You can easily get to Place St Michel using the RER and also avoid any stairs with your luggage. (There is an elevator to exit the station. I am planning on visiting Paris with a group of 9 in June for a week. Ther are many hotels to chose from depending on your budget. If interested, I can recommend some...

I always recommend a city tour to get a close up sampling of the major sites... Paris Vision tours come to mind and offer short and long tours of this great city. You can return to the attractions that have been prioritized.

Bon Voyage!

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

With so little time, you want to be close in with several metro connections close by, otherwise you're going to be spending all your time riding and transferring on the metro. I suggest the 6th Odeon. In the evening you will be close to a lot of restaurants and cafes, three metro lines going in all different ways, easy walk to the seine etc. it's nice to be able to walk out of your place and be right there and not have to go across town. Forget Oberkampf, Bellville, Butte C, Pierre LC area--they are too far away. Montmartre is an interesting place but not many convenient metro stations and lines and so it's a lot of walking to stations and time to get elsewhere in the city. Luxembourg 6th is a nice area, but also not the most convenient in terms of metro and getting around.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best place to stay in Paris for sightseeing

Remember that a big part of the Paris experience is not just seeing certain specific things or running from one point of interest to another. It's the ambience, walking the streets, sitting in cafes, visiting shops, walking along the seine, walking through places like ille St. Louis, and parks like the Tuilleries, etc.