We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

homewares shops and vide greniers in paris Jan 2013?

Sydney
Level Contributor
119 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
homewares shops and vide greniers in paris Jan 2013?

Dear All

My husband and I will be arriving in Paris 1st Jan 2013 for 4 days.

I would really like to purchase some lovely french homewares (not furniture though) and also 100% european/french linen for the house (for example linen throws, sheets, doona covers cushion covers etc etc). I live in Sydney and French 100% linen bed sheets are very VERY expensive. I am hoping to find a bargain in Paris (hmmmmm maybe I am after the impossible though!?!??)

Do you have any recommendations on a particular precinct of paris that has many homeware/linen stores or a particular market that tends to sell more of these types of items?

I am also hoping to catch a vide grenier but I am not sure if there is one on during the first week of January 2013. Does anyone know if there is one on and where it is please?

I have been to Paris a few times before but always in summer. I hope that the weather is not raining so we can walk around all day wandering the streets. We are staying in the 6th - St German Des pres.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Kind regards

Dan and Chris

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: homewares shops and vide greniers in paris Jan 2013?

100% linen bed sheets are frightfully expensive in Paris, too. You might try somewhere like Galeries Lafayette, Printemps, or BHV-- but expect to pay handsomely. High-thread-count cotton is pricey...

No vide-greniers in the wintertime.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: homewares shops and vide greniers in paris Jan 2013?

No vide-greniers or brocantes in January, but if you are in Paris over a weekend, you might try your luck at Marche Aux Puces.

Otherwise, hope for some "pre-sale" sales at the big stores - but other than at markets and brocantes, I have never seen 100% linen, except for the "distressed" kind which is usually mixed with Egyptian cotton.

Sydney
Level Contributor
119 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: homewares shops and vide greniers in paris Jan 2013?

Dear all thank you for your replies. I will check the department stores and hope for some post Christmas bargains.. Thank you! Kindly

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: homewares shops and vide greniers in paris Jan 2013?

There is no such thing as a post-Christmas sale in France (on anything except Christmas merchandise) -- the big winter clearance sales (dates mandated by law) won't start until the 9th of January.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: homewares shops and vide greniers in paris Jan 2013?

Outside of the 2 regular "soldes:, there are no "official sales", but as anyone who lives and shops in Paris regularly knows for a fact, nowadays shops are allowed to - and do - hold regular clearance sales during the year. This applies to the large department stores, as well as the boutique down the block.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: homewares shops and vide greniers in paris Jan 2013?

As well as in the big department stores mentioned above (Printemps, Galeries Lafayette, BHV, Bon Marché...) you will find 100% linen bed sheets here :

http://www.linvosges.fr/fr/nos-magasins.htm

http://www.secretmaison.fr/crbst_5.html

It is expensive, but maybe less than where you live.

I know a shop selling all kinds of house textiles at reduced prices, not sure if they will have 100% linen.

GB Linge de Maison. 168 rue du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine - Métro Faidherbe-Chaligny 75012 Paris. It's not far from the Aligre market, which has a flea market section.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: homewares shops and vide greniers in paris Jan 2013?

but "after-Christmas sales" is not a common occurrence in France.

It certainly isn't anything at all like the after-Christmas sales in the US, UK, or Australia.

California
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: homewares shops and vide greniers in paris Jan 2013?

There are several Yves Delorme locations in Paris--one in the Palais Royal, I believe.

9. Re: homewares shops and vide greniers in paris Jan 2013?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, December 17, 2013