We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Paris Dec 5-17

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Time Paris Dec 5-17

Dear Friends,

After reading tips from Trip Advisor, I have booked my trip to Paris for 12 nights. First time, going alone, dont speak a word of French, so have decided to concentrate on Paris only.

Itnerary: I have det aside some must see places but left most of the days blanks so that i can choose one area, walk around and soak up the atmosphere.

I have chosen an apt near Hotel De Ville by Paris Best Lodge- a painless way to booking accomodation. Thierry & Eric have been great so far.

Im excited but very worried that since I do not speak French, Im not going to go to most places and the cold weather is going to put a damper on things. But Im wearing layers and plan to bundle up like the Michelin man.

Any of you around in Paris during that time, perhaps we may pass each other.

I will write once I arrive in Paris.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,976 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Paris Dec 5-17

Many Paris cafes have outdoor heaters so that even if it is chilly you can sit and have vin chaud (now you know two word of French) As you warm up in the cacoon of warmth you will usually strip off one layer. When you hit your T it's time to dress and be on your way.

Pjk

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,054 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Paris Dec 5-17

go on line to one of the zillions of French for tourists sites (the BBC has a good one) and learn a few politeness phrases -- that and a spirit of adventure is all you need

there are lots of great day trips from Paris to add to the variety of the experience and with 12 days you will be able to do a couple of those

Paris is a great lousy weather city -- there are many indoor venues so even a rainy cold day is not a loss

Paris, France
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Paris Dec 5-17

Christine, you can visit paris with no problem even if you don't speak french.

for food beware some places have two menus and different prices so ask for the french menu.

eating should be around 10/15 euros for a decent meal, and around 8 for a sandwich a drink and a muffin or something.

Some things you should not miss, the grand palais ice skating ring (you should buy tickets online) http://www.legrandpalaisdesglaces.com/en

Hot chocolate at angelina's (near metro tuileries)

most monuments have english audioguides, these are very good.

Don't pay the tourist bus, this is not useful, and i'ts very expensive.

Buy a navigo card it costs 5 euro and you can charge if for two weeks in any station (should be less than 50 euro or so). with that you can take any bus, metro rer, in the zone you choose. (take zone 1-2 if you stay inside paris)

Most of paris should be done by foot by the way.

Disney is not worth it, don't waste your time, a ticket is around 40 euro and a ticket to the louvre is around 10...

Things to see: louvre, arc de triomphe, eiffel tower, montmartre (beware of pickpockets) versailles, notre dame, musee d'orsay, etc. If you have time to go outside paris i would go visit chateau de fointainbleu, fontenay le vicompte. foret de fointainbleu (if you like hiking).

If you want you can take a train and go to Deauville, pretty cute place to go only two hours from paris and you can see the sea... or etretat.

Edited: 9:46 pm, December 01, 2012
Paris, France
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Paris Dec 5-17

Forgot to say that most tourists shops sell souvenirs that come from china. not really good. In my oppinion is better to bring home a good bottle of wine (you can find at any 'nicolas' shop) or some good gastronomy (comptese du barry, la durée, fauchon, hediard, etc), a perfume or a little cream (occitane en provence are pretty good for gifts)

Also most paris paintings that are sold in montmartre are also made in china, unless you see the guy make the painting in front of you these will be imported.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
972 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Paris Dec 5-17

Don't worry about not speaking French everyone we saw in Paris was very friendly and just knowing a few simple words in French goes a long way. Learn to say please, thank you, hello and goodbye. Many people in Paris speak English too. Most taxi drivers don't so always write down the name of the place and the address.

One place not mentioned is the Opera Garnier. I would suggest going there as the building inside and out is magnificent. Paris is a very beautiful city and there are so many wonderful places to go there.

Have a wonderful trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Paris Dec 5-17

>> In my oppinion is better to bring home ... some good gastronomy<<

Unfortunately, Australia's quarantine rules make it impossible to bring home almost all kinds of food.

Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
32 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Paris Dec 5-17

Try to see La Sainte-Chapelle when you visit Notre Dame -- incredible stained glass windows. Place des Vosges is a beautiful square. Top of the Arc offers great views. L'Orangerie is wonderful if you like Monet. We also enjoyed the Rodin Museum. Check out the Luxembourg Gardens and the Tuileries. Have a hot chocolate and Mont Blanc at Angelina's. Have macarons at Laduree, or Gerard Mulot, or Pierre Herme or Pierre Marcolino.

Have afternoon tea and chocolate desserts at Un Dimanche a Paris.

Have a wonderful time.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
40 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Paris Dec 5-17

was there a week a ago. i survived a week with "Bonjour" "Merci" "Au revoir" . You can still catch a couple of useful phrases online while preparing or waiting for your flight. :)

Paris is beautiful.

Bring a nice walking shoes. this will save you on Bus/Metro fare plus you'll see and experience more when walking.

Have fun!

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time Paris Dec 5-17

>>Have a hot chocolate and Mont Blanc at Angelina's.<<

The hot chocolate is INTENSE. Two of us could barely drink a small cup of it so be prepared. The Mont Blanc might not be the best thing there either. It's very pretty, but didn't taste nearly as good as it looked IMO.

When we stayed in Paris in Sept. we were probably three blocks from Hotel de VIlle, and loved the area. Very close to everything, and great transport links all around. They just opened a Dali Exhibition at the Centre Georges-Pompidou, which is very near to you.

And I agree with everyone else, learn the basics in French, such as thank you, please, hello, goodbye, etc.

Edited: 12:56 pm, December 02, 2012
Paris, France
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time Paris Dec 5-17

I agree, the mont blanc is a bit too much sugar for me, i preffer the saint honore in angelina's. If you want to have lunch there it's good too, their croque madame is one of the best i ever had

As for taking gastronomy to other countries, you can take things to other places, my country has these rules too and if the thing is packed and does not need to be in a fridge it's fine.