We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New agency for Train tickets

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
17,102 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
New agency for Train tickets

I won't be going to France for a while, but perhaps someone would like to 'test drive' this site and see if it streamlines the train ticket process, especially for foreigners...

http://www.capitainetrain.com/

Quoted from the "Secrets of Paris" newsletter:

<>Quick & Easy Train Tickets

The SNCF has made a nice effort in improving their services, but sometimes you just need a quick train ticket, no hotel options, no rental car, no ads, no extra options. The quickest way to do this is through Capitaine Train, a travel agency that has created a super-simple site for buying train tickets without adding anything to the official price (they get a commission from SNCF). Wouldn’t it be nice if ALL service sites were this simple!?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New agency for Train tickets

Well, it is in French and I can't see any button to change language. And you have to create an account, which may mean you get bombarded with marketing e-mails.

It seems to show the same prices as tgv-europe, but I can't see that it is any easier to use, especially for someone who does not speak French. You have to give the same information on both web sites.

I see no reason to change my standard advice that people do best to book direct with the train operator.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New agency for Train tickets

As I thought. There are already 2 e-mails from Capitaine Train. Avoid the company.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New agency for Train tickets

I'm still trying to get unsubscribed from having inadvertently subscribed to Groupon in French.

I find TGV-Europe very straightforward and no misunderstanding due to translation issues.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New agency for Train tickets

Same problem, trying to get unsuscribed from Facebook and Groupon. No luck so far.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New agency for Train tickets

All your emails are belong to us!

The Android app of Voyages SNCF is quite straightforward and faster than the full website. I have no idea however of the communication encryption level.

Edited: 7:34 pm, November 30, 2012
Paris
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New agency for Train tickets

« Well, it is in French and I can't see any button to change language. »

That's right, the website is only in french for the moment. We are working on an english version.

« And you have to create an account, which may mean you get bombarded with marketing e-mails. »

Nope. Actually we hate spam as much as you do. The only emails you'll have are about your tickets or refunds.

Having an account just allows us to offer a better user experience.

« As I thought. There are already 2 e-mails from Capitaine Train. Avoid the company. »

This is :

- A welcome email to tell you your account has been created (every website does that)

- A message to confirm your email adress.

You really consider this as "marketing email"? You won't got any more emails from us if you don't buy any ticket.

I know you are probably used to websites abusing your email adress but we don't do that, actually we just hate that. Contrary to other websites, there is actually no advertising in Capitaine Train because we think it makes the buying experience a pain.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New agency for Train tickets

I mistrust any web site that requires me to open an account. How does this provide "a better user experience"?

Paris
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New agency for Train tickets

I understand it can be repulsive. Our goal is to make train ticket booking faster and easier. We really want people to be able to book a train ticket in less than a minute. Concretely the website memorizes your favorite destinations, your reduction cards, the passengers you are used to travel with... Everything you would have to refill every time on other websites. It also allows us to give an individualized customer service, which is our other obsession.

If it is faster to buy a train ticket on our website, it is mainly due do this system.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,633 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New agency for Train tickets

In other words, it enables you to track everything that your users do.

I do not believe that it could be possible to book a ticket in under a minute.

Paris
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New agency for Train tickets

« In other words, it enables you to track everything that your users do. »

The website is entirely encrypted. Nobody can know what you are doing on it. We take security and privacy questions very seriously.

« I do not believe that it could be possible to book a ticket in under a minute. »

Alright, here's a proof. I'm going to book my ticket for monday just for you. :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7307440/Booking.mov

40 seconds (by taking my time), I guess one minute is pretty long enough. :)

Edited: 7:05 am, December 01, 2012