We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to go from 3e to Gare Montparnasse for a rush-hour...

New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
How to go from 3e to Gare Montparnasse for a rush-hour...

I'm an idiot. Though we're staying in 3e (nearest metro is Fille du Calvaire or Republique), I booked our 9:05am train to St. Brieuc to leave from Montparnasse. (I would die of happy to learn that actually Montparnasse was our only choice for a fast train to Brittany, but I suspect that I simply messed up and booked our tickets at the station furthest from us when Gare du Nord might have made more sense.)

The idea of either: a) lugging our huge suitcases around the metro at rush hour, or b) sitting in a taxi in traffic at rush hour makes me want to lie down and cry.

Gentle reader, how should we get from our hotel on rue Picardie to Montparnasse for a 9:05am train on a Tuesday morning in May without killing ourselves or each other? And how much time should we leave to navigate Montparnasse, which neither of us has ever been in?

Thanks in advance.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to go from 3e to Gare Montparnasse for a rush-hour...

Austen -

You can die a happy man. Trains to Brittany leave from Montparnasse. It's just that simple. Each of the Paris main line stations serves basically its own segment of the country.

I don't think there is a better way for you to get to Montparnasse than a taxi. Bad as that may seem - and I don't think it's going to be as bad as you fear - it is preferable to lugging suitcases onto jam-packed metro trains.

You did nothing wrong. Sleep the sleep of the just!

Paris
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to go from 3e to Gare Montparnasse for a rush-hour...

I second IR; "rush hour" is more muffled a concept within Paris than on the freeways leading to the city. Taxis now have more and more dedicated lanes (I am thinking of the long one on bd Saint-Marcel and bd du Montparnasse that it will probably take) and in Paris there is always an alternative route if you are stuck behind a garbage or delivery truck. It might be safer to book it on the previous day, though. A 10 mn delay could be a killer when you have to catch a train!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
787 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to go from 3e to Gare Montparnasse for a rush-hour...

Relax ! Here is the number for Taxi G7, they are great, always on time and they even have a English speaker service at 01 41 27 66 99. You can book them 24 hrs in advance.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to go from 3e to Gare Montparnasse for a rush-hour...

I also vote for taxi. Don't be tempted to use the Metro in this particular case. There's at least one line change and an inevitable one mile walk (literally) from the Metro to the Grand Lignes at Montparnasse, all underground with lots of stairs and moving beltways.

New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to go from 3e to Gare Montparnasse for a rush-hour...

Thanks to everyone for your great advice on this, especially to IR for helping me not feel like a shmuck and to Luckyluc for G7's #. A G7 taxi booked the previous night it is!!!