We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Monet's Garden in October, Is it worth it?

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Monet's Garden in October, Is it worth it?

We will be on Paris in early October and are considering having a day trip to Monet's Garden and house. Is it worth going at this time of the year to see the garden or it all spent by then?

Luxembourg Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Architectural Buildings, Gardens
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Monet's Garden in October, Is it worth it?

There will be plenty of flowers, which are planned/planted to rotate blooms according to season. You can see photos of the gardens at various times of the year on the website.

We visited one September 25th and the gardens were just beautiful.

The water lilies were in bloom, which I was not expecting and made it extra special.

You won't need a whole day, but do plan on a leisurely lunch before returning to Paris if the weather is nice.

It's best to take the train that gets you there just ahead of opening time, to beat the tour buses. And, with advance tickets (you can order online and print at home), you can use the group entrance and avoid the ticket line (as quite a few people arrive at once on the shuttle bus).

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Monet's Garden in October, Is it worth it?

If you are a big fan of Monet and you'll be in Paris for at least five days or so, it might be worth a trip. Otherwise not. This is true even in spring and summer.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Monet's Garden in October, Is it worth it?

As with any garden in autumn, check what the weather has been like in the previous few days. There can be gales at that time of year, althogh so far this month the weather systems have been a long way to the north.

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Monet's Garden in October, Is it worth it?

So happy to see this post.

I have been back and forth wondering if I should take time from my brief visit (6 days) to go to the gardens.

After reading the responses, I think not.

The thought of facing crowds in a garden, which should be a peaceful respite from the city, is a major turn off.......Thanks for asking, Pam.

Edited: 8:00 am, September 15, 2012
Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Monet's Garden in October, Is it worth it?

I can't decide whether to go in Oct ( the last week). I am worried it is too late in the season to really worth the time.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Monet's Garden in October, Is it worth it?

We went in mid October 3 years ago and the gardens were beautiful. We had nothing to compare it to, but everything appeared to be in bloom. We got there at opening and when we left it was pretty crowded, so there were many others of like mind.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Monet's Garden in October, Is it worth it?

Hemlock- weather permitting I think I will go. Sounds like opening time is the best time.

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Monet's Garden in October, Is it worth it?

I'm glad you asked this question as we are definitely going in late September. You can never be sure you'll be back--or at least I can't--and the bones of a great garden are always there, even in the dead of winter.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Monet's Garden in October, Is it worth it?

We will be going sometime in the first two weeks of October. We really don't care about the flowers -- Monet lived there during the Fall, as well as the Spring. We want to experience being in the place where he painted.

The flowers would be an added bonus, to be sure, but if it were just the blooms we wanted to see, the any of the other gardens in Paris would do the job.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Monet's Garden in October, Is it worth it?

If you have the days (see Euromanic's post) and even a passing interest in lovely gardens, it's a must-see.

The fact that it's the place where Monet was inspired by his surroundings is icing on the cake -- as there really aren't that many of his works on display....but you can sure pick out the viewpoints from where he painted many of his most famous works.