We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris visite or Carnets

Level Contributor
114 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Paris visite or Carnets

hello all! We will be in Paris mid October, arriving around 6 pm on a Tuesday and levying Monday afternoon. we are starting in the 12th and i'm in a dilemma re the metro. I had been considering using the packs of ten tickets and setting how we go but i've worked out that if we used a whole pack a day ie. Fivejourneys for two...then we would be add well getting the Paris visit 5 day 2 zones for the similar price. Part of me knows the last time I was in Paris I hardly used the metro but I stayed central and it was summer. I wonder whether to just get the pass and then we can hop around and not worry about the weather so much etc. I figure at least we will travel in in the morning and back night , but then I thought we may go back to hotel for change before dinner etc and the journeys mount up. Anyone any opinions? Thanks x

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris visite or Carnets

If you're considering a pass, consider Navigo, valid Monday through Saturday (versus Paris Visite). Departure day, you typically need tickets only to the airport.

Much depends on whether you will use RATP from CDG/Paris and/or are planning any excursions beyond Zones 1&2 (Versailles, Fontainebleau, etc.).

For sure, with many passes, the "extra" far offsets the urge to walk rather than ride (when you're tired already and headed for a place that requires much walking once there.

I'm one who finds the unlimited rides and convenience of ND worth every Euro and them some.

If you have a preliminary itinerary or list f places outside Paris, do some more homework with passes and individual fares

www.transilien.com

www.vianavigo.com

For me, keeping individual tickets and t+ tickets separate and needing to be able to preset the specific ticket you boarded with in case of an "inspection", along with wondering wherther you should continue walking, though exhausted versus "waste' a ticket, then have to buy more eventually, anyway, is just not worth the fuss\

This is one of those situations where giving up conveniene and preserving your endurance is JUST NOT worth quibbling over getting the very cheapest option possible and saving yourself not much.

What's more valuable to you? Your time, energy, enthusiasm, or saving a few euros?

We were at a cafe one day with a wife nearby begging her husband to return to the Eiffel Tower one night for the sparking. He told her, "We have four tickets left and we need them for tomorrow and I'm just NOT buying another carnet and have all those other tickets leftover. (He would have just purchased the individual tickets rather than a carnet, but he probably would't consider anything less than the "best deal" but not if tickets went "waster". Too, too, sad

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris visite or Carnets

Can't argue that a ND is a good pass, but who takes a metro five times a day,, wow, thats alot!

Most people walk from site to site and just jump on metro to go to ones a tad farther from where they are ,, but five trips each seems like you plan on running from site to site!!! I use one carnet in 4-5 days!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris visite or Carnets

In terms of money alone, individual tickets bought in carnets are usually the most economical choice these days, with the transit authority's current pricing philosophy.

A Navigo Découverte is more economical if you take public transportation several times a day (usually at least twice, preferably three or more times), but even in cases where it costs more, the convenience of being able to simply wave the Navigo at any turnstile and pass through can outweigh the several extra euro that it costs. The Navigo is least economical the first time you use it, since you need to buy the card itself and supply a photo, but if you already have the card, you can just charge it up.

Paris Visite is almost never economical, nor is it especially convenient, although it's more convenient than individual tickets (but less convenient than a Navigo card). It's essentially a pricey tourist trap that is used to help subsidize the public transit system for residents.

As a resident, I use mostly carnets of individual tickets these days. The reason I don't use a Navigo is that it isn't economical unless I take public transportation several times a day, and in fact for me it's more like several times a week (I often walk to and from work, so I don't always commute to work on public transit). In the old days, a Carte Orange (now replaced by the Navigo) was a better deal, but the transit authority has gradually changed prices in such a way that today it often turns out to be more expensive than just buying a pack of tickets.

With carnets, every trip costs you money, but you never pay for trips that you don't take. That usually works out cheaper unless you are making very heavy use of public transportation (at least 3-4 trips every day, in most cases). I think it safe to say that most visitors to Paris probably don't use public transportation more than twice a day unless they have mobility issues.

Edited: 6:15 am, September 13, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,534 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris visite or Carnets

the Navigo D is good Monday through Sunday (not Saturday)-- so in your case you would only need to have other means on the final day and if you are flying then either get an RER ticket or take a cab

The Navigo D will cost about twice a pack of tickets (carnet) I doubt you save money as you won't really use the metro and buses as much as you think but it is close enough and so convenient that it would be a better bet -- and save it so you can use it again on your next trip

if you would actually use 5 tickets a day, then it is also a money saver

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,036 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris visite or Carnets

I loved having the Navigo Decouverte, it made it so easy to hop on and off a bus on a whim without worrying about wasting a ticket. So much more flexibility, IMO, than a carnet.

Manchester United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris visite or Carnets

We got an ND pass each and the sheer convience outweighs the small extra cost

On one day we got the Metro to La Grane Jatte and then got a bit lost in Neuilly sur Siene

We hopped on a bus which got us to an intersection where we walked to another stop and got another bus back into town

Then after a sitdown and a drink we got the metro back to our apartment

With the ND you have a different attitude to using the public transport system

OK not everyday was like that but some of our favourite places like the Parcs Mountsouris, Butte Chaumont and the Bois de Vincennes and Boulogne not walkable from central Paris we found the ND invaluable and when we go back in January topping them up is one of the first things we will do

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,534 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris visite or Carnets

Madhatter makes a good point -- it is very nice to not have to think about making a spur of the moment round trip to Notre Dame just to look at it at night -- or to hop on a bus in the rain to go 6 blocks because you don't want to get wet --

the flexibility is nice -- I know we don't save money with it because we walk so much but we love the ease of use

for short trips the museum pass can have the same advantages allowing people to hop into a place to use the rest room or to see a place they might not otherwise want to pay to see

we discovered the Island of Grande Jatte accidentally when just using our ND to explore the end points of metro lines -- it was at the end of the 3 -- which was 'our' line. see the island on www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Edited: 1:39 pm, September 13, 2012
Level Contributor
114 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris visite or Carnets

thanks so much for all the replies! I hadn't really considered the ND but I may opt for that! We are thinking of Versailles one day so would it cover that? Also is it hard to get? We arrive at gare de nord from the euro star...i'm worried about using my basic French and getting the wrong thing...is it the one option or are there zones etc. one again thanks so much for the help. I do think the ability to use metro at will is a handy thing. I she with Joan in that I love to walk in Paris but at the back of my mind is that it is Oct and if it is pouring etc the metro usage may be quite heavy!

Edited: 3:10 pm, September 13, 2012
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
745 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris visite or Carnets

The ND was the best thing for us as well. We walked further knowing that we could just grab a bus or the metro anytime we got to tired. Used carnets our first trip and hated keeping up with tickets, both used and new. And the ND makes a cool little souvenir. Very easy to get at any decent size metro station. I had two small pictures that I had copied onto regular computer paper and the attendant put the ND together for us.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris visite or Carnets

Alibally, my rule of thumb is that if you have five full days of use of the Navigo Decouverte, you will at least break even in cost, compared to using carnets only. You will have five full days. (Small correction to djk's post: the ND is valid from Monday through Sunday.)

Given that your lodgings are not as central as they were on your last visit, it's likely that you'll use public transport at least three times a day, on average. You'll need a slightly-smaller than passport-size photo, and a 5 euro (non-refundable) cost for the card itself.

[Here's our situation for our upcoming visit: we'll arrive by Eurostar early on a Wednesday afternoon, and depart the following Wednesday. We'll have four full days of use, and maybe a half-day on our day of arrival. We already have our cards, and we know our daily travel habits. We'll be staying in the 14th. We'll re-load our cards at the Gare du Nord, and use a carnet or two for the following Monday and Tuesday. We'll be going to CDG on Wednesday noon, so we'll buy single RER tickets for that.]

-- Steve