We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night time

georgia
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Night time

2-60ish ladies are taking on Paris! Oh yeah! Do you feel we would be safe taking Metro at night? Can we walk the Champs Elysees at night and safely take Metro to 16th arr.? Can we safely walk from Arc de Triumphe to Trocadero at night? THANKS for the help!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night time

Yes, the whole city is safe. The worst you can encounter is pickpockets (especially in metro around tourist attractions such as Champs-Elysées).16th is extremely safe.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night time

Totally safe, but I would like to qualify the response by Slashoc. The 16th is full of deserted streets which are a prime location for the (rare) motorised snatchers. Since it is a rich area, purses tend to contain a lot of goodies. So you are safe, but just keep away from the edge of the sidewalk and never dangle your purses. Crossing the street is a time for particular vigilance.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night time

Good point Kerouac. Don't be mistaken, these people aren't ubiquitous and you most likely won't be confronted with this situation. They are on motorcycles and, if the purse is within reach, will snatch it and drive off.

This is the case with rich areas all around the world, since there's money, there's robbers.

The advice is valid in general, be discrete with your belongings. And don't carry too much cash or your original passport. A credit card will be accepted everywhere and you can just call up the company to block it if you're unlucky enough to be pickpocketed/ robbed.

Lose your cash and it's gone.

Lose your passport, your stay in Paris will be longer than you planned.

Basically, common sense.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,209 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night time

The whole city is not safe. The gov't just highlighted the areas that are not safe for the entire country, and fortunately, the 16th is NOT on that list.

I have a lot of friends who live in deserted, affluent areas in Paris and have never heard of motorized purse snatchers. I am sure it exists, but walking home alone at night, women either use the middle of the street (brightly lit, no doorways) in which case they would hear any motors approaching and get on to the sidewalk, OR they walk on the sidewalk. Either way, the parked cars between the sidewalk and the road rather eliminate the risk of drive bys.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night time

When I worked at Beaugrenelle, in the rather affluent 15th arrondissement, we were right across from the Hôtel Nikko (now Novotel), a favorite of Japanese tourists. Not once but twice, in the middle of the day, I saw purses of Asian women snatched by motorcycles. In the second case, the woman refused to let go and was dragged across the pavement all the way to the Pont de Grenelle. The motorcycle nearly crashed but not quite, damn!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,292 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night time

I am an old lady and walk around Paris and ride the metro at night without concern. Of course, all women are more vigilant as a matter of course about their environment - and this pays off in Paris as well. But the metros are full of people until they close -- I have crossed the entire city at midnight on the metro and always there are groups of girls, couples, men etc -- I have always felt very safe on the metro because it is so full of people at all hours.

And walking in touristy areas like those you mention are no problem.

Don't let fear keep you from enjoying yourself to the fullest. (Paris is not Atlanta nor is it Chicago)

georgia
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night time

Just got back home and want to thank everyone for their help. Had a fabulous time! Everything was safe, easy, and wonderful! Viva la Paris!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Night time

Thanks for the update Georgia, i'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

9. Re: Night time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, December 15, 2013