We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Travel and other questions

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Travel and other questions

I will be in Paris for 3 months. I plan to take busses and the metro. Are there monthly passes or something like that?

Are the movies in Paris subtitled?

Is there a way to see what toiletries are available in Paris? I want to buy there but have some allergies.

I like to take classes, any suggestions? (besides French).

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Travel and other questions

If you have allergies to toiletries, specifically fragrance, highly recommend bringing enough from home (or as much as you can of any essentials) as fragrance-free products (believe me) in particular are difficult to find. There are shops that specialize in "bio", "naturale", etc., but the products are expensive and chock full of objectionable ingredients. (You may want to have a look at Paula's Choice products as they're reasonably priced and concentrated so you use far less.)

The Navigo Decouverte passes can be filled for a calendar month.

In addition to classes, the weekly publication Pariscope is chock full of what's going on all over Paris, including cinema schedules. If you want to see movies in English, look for Version Originale (which will have subtitles in French).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Travel and other questions

Thank you djkbooks.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Travel and other questions

Next friday (nov. 23) i will return to California after 90 wonderful days in Paris. I had never lived alone or traveled alone and I did not speak French but I went and had a life changing experience. (Still cannot speak French). I have had fun, adventures, made friends, eaten odd food, took thousands of pics, fought off a phone stealer, and now have a belief that I can do anything on my own! I wrote a daily email blog to 45 of my friends and family back home, so I have an already written book of adventures.

I read al lot of stuff about Paris before I came on this trip and a lot of the information is just not accurate, at least not the stuff I was most interested in. Or maybe, a longer stay helps one to see what is really there. I plan to write a myth busting message, a message about shopping and one on the best places to stay and why I think so.

There are a LOT of different types of familiar brands here (USA) and if you want me to look for something for you for an upcoming trip, ask, I have 7 more days. Ask me anything, I do not know it all, not even CLOSE, but I know a lot more than I did 3 months ago! Love this city!!!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Travel and other questions

So thrilled for you!

And, looking forward to your messages.

North of Boston, MA...
Level Contributor
378 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Travel and other questions

Robin, looking forward also to your myth-busting message. What a wonderful opportunity...something I hope to do someday, too. An extended stay in Paris is a dream of mine. Have a safe trip home!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,111 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Travel and other questions

My poor old face suffers from rosacea - for more than 10 years now - and in that time I have been taking an antibiotic every second day to keep it under control. (I've been off them since Easter - and so far, so good!) In those 10 years, I've only used eye makeup and lipstick. No makeup or anything on my face at all, not eveh shampoo or conditioner hits my face. Then I went to France and discovered AVENE- not to be confused with Avena, which you can buy in supermarkets. Avene is available from all French chemists and it now has a whole range of skincare, makeup and even sunscreen. I love applying my makeup so I can use the skincare at night to remove it all! Telephone in USA 1-866-41-AVENE or www.eau-thermale-avene.com. I know this sounds pathetic, but it has changed my life - no longer do I have to see this bright red face, with messy capilliaries looking back at me in the mirror. And my friends do say I look much better - now, if that's not an advertisement, I don't know what is ... If only I could buy shares in the company.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,111 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Travel and other questions

Avene's makeup is under Couvrance

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,376 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Travel and other questions

Products formulated for sensitive skin are absolutely not difficult to find anywhere in Paris.

Look for "peau sensible" -- which means sensitive skin, and "hypo-allergenique", which is, of course, hypoallergenic.

For body soap, look for Sanex 0% (any grocery willl have it)-- no perfumes, no colorants. It's even available in a dry skin formulation, which is important in the winter.

You could also use Saforel (any parapharmacie or pharmacie will have this one), which was designed for intimate regions (so it's extremely gentle), but has a very light lavender fragrance and is used by *lots* of people as a body wash.

I've struggled with sensitive skin all my life -- and I find that the products here in France are markedly more gentle and generally aren't the chemical bath that "ordinary" products in the US tend to be. (disclaimer: grocery-store makeup is still grocery-store crappy makeup. Head for a pharmacie or a cosmetics shop like Nocibe or Marionnaud)

If you're that concerned, go to a pharmacie or parapharmacie and ask them for their help finding products for peau sensible. They'll be happy to help you find products you'll love.

Edited: 6:30 am, November 18, 2012
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Travel and other questions

My 3 months are up next week, thanks for all you help! It was an amazing trip!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris Travel and other questions

Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures!