We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbnb in Paris

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Airbnb in Paris

I was refered by a friend a Paris to Airbnb for reasonable apartment rental in the 5th arr. The rates almost seem too good to be true. Any experiences you care to share?

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from $109.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from $301.00*
$334.40
California Central...
Level Contributor
237 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Airbnb in Paris

I also endorse airbnb: we have not officially used them yet; however, through airbnb we have rented apartments in London at the end of August and Paris at the beginning of September. I am very picky and careful. I looked for apartments that had reviews and appeared to be legitimate - I also have exchanged a number of messages with each owner - I am quite satisfied thus far with the site - I'll report back upon the completion of our trip.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Airbnb in Paris

I'm researching Airbnb for our first time. Looking to go to Paris next June. I'm confused about the deposit. I thought you pay into an account that is transferred to renter after 24 hour stay. What is deposit for and when does that come into play?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,218 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Airbnb in Paris

Some owners request a security deposit (which is very common with vacation rentals, not just Airbnb) in case you damage anything during your stay. 2 of the 3 apartments I rented requested a security deposit and all it was was an authorization on my credit card, which was removed a day or so after my stay.

I've also seen some owners request cash. When I've seen this i"ve continued looking as that's more hassle than I'd like to deal with.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
229 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Airbnb in Paris

Probably a very late reply. Hope you've already tried airbnb. At age 65, having lived in france and spending years in Paris, this is the best thing that could have happened for us. The French have a different standard than americans, far less particular, but the hotels reflect this same standard difference as well.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Airbnb in Paris

Nukesafe, I think you have the apartment in October that we just missed for May next year. Have been following your discussion on Slow Travel. Would love to hear how it went - a bit of reverse shadenfreud would apply, if you know what I mean...drat, his good luck, my bad. But it's all about learning and the future.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Airbnb in Paris

Jazziejas - yep, an apartment is not an hotel. You make an important point for first timers. Renting, in Paris or anywhere else, as an alternative to an hotel is like renting your holiday place at the beach or the lake. It's not all entirely found - at least not for more than a few days. So you buy your own kitchen paper to wipe the benches and your own loo paper and soaps and shampoo. But you do get towels and linens, or the chance to rent those at the economy level. Thanks for the suggestion about adding "balcon" to the search items - our place for next year has big french windows with a railing for leaning on to watch the passing scene - a bonus we discovered on our previous visit but one that I didn't think to add to our recent search.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
229 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Airbnb in Paris

In my nearly half dozen longer term Paris airbnb stays loo paper was always provided. No doubt there is a difference in hosts as well acomodations, but in my first stay with an older woman, established, savvy and generous EVERYTHING from paper towels, to a nearly full refrigerator, salt, pepper, butter, olive oil, shampoo, new fresh linens...etc were included. As a host myself, I try and leave the same, asking guests to replace anything used up (except loo paper). I now ask hosts what they include and set all airbnb filters to narrow down suitable listings (e.g. elevator, wifi). Camera's tend to show fewer faults, giving photos an advantage to hosts with homes with frayed edges. Since I don't like frayed edges, I revised my own airbnb profile to give a detailed, clearer and more honest description of expectations (which I ask potential hosts to refer to). I tend now toward renting from an older, more mature host with units more complete and comfortable. That has worked well but of course is not always fool proof.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Airbnb in Paris

Yep - it is a rich and varied world. With apartments, often you get an initial supply and then meet your own needs after that. (We always take a tea-towel, a hand towel, and "chucks" - throw away wipes - and a sharp knife. I don't expect owners to maintain knives in a useably sharp condition. Of course that rules out going just with carry-on bags.)

As a guest, if you are courteous, you leave the supply of consumables (paper towels, face tissues, loo paper) as you first experienced it. (Unlike hotels where guests often clean out the "freebies".) But news of a virtually bottom-less loo paper supply is a first for me. Marvellous.

Being in touch directly with the owner gives hope of a better (more personal) experience, it seems.

Clermont-Ferrand...
5 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Airbnb in Paris

Hi!

I am a french girl from Auvergne (best part of France to enjoy the nature!!!).

Since 2 years, when I need to sleep in Paris, I use Airbnb or Wimdu.

Regarding Airbnb, I used this website quite often with my boyfriend.

I know very well Paris and always look for apartment in the heart of Paris, in the 5th (safe + easy for transport, very typic).

Our favourite apartments are :

- https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/717376 (cheap and clean)

- https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/682788 (romantic and wonderful but more expensive that the first one).

Both apartment were very good (clean, all equiped, etc.). As someone else said, host are very important and both are very friendly and answer very quickly. In particular the host of the apartment in front of Notre Dame tooks an hour to present the flat and the district and I appeciated a lot.

So, from a french point of view, Airbnb is great ! It is cheaper and better than an hotel (I've been in Notre Dame hotel once. It is the one with the view in Notre Dame. And I paid 300€ for 12m2 whereas with airbnb you have apartment for half the price and twice the size !!).

And last advice, I always have a look on the comments before going in a flat. Unhappy people always say it.

Have a nice stay in Paris :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
229 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Airbnb in Paris

I am now an airbnb fan. I am 65 and while not the type for homestays, have been won over. Yes they are the values you see. Airbnb are also very helpful on the phone and responsive. My first stay was the best. I Have tried several others, all good but now return to this first favorite. I have lived and owned for years in france. As such I have a good idea of the differences in French standards. As such, I tend to ask fussy questions and am honest about my expectations. And when i review a host i try to be fair and honest. However I find most reviews either inexperienced or naive, over rating a host which makes it hard to determine the quality of a particular host's home. The balance in reviewing a personal business is the challenge. And while too heavy on the positives the reviews were not out of the ballpark.