We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A good article with packing tips from frequent travelers

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
564 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A good article with packing tips from frequent travelers

This NY Times article has some interesting suggestions, and lots of links for the tech savy travelor, or even the non-tech savy like myself.

…nytimes.com/2012/…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
969 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A good article with packing tips from frequent travelers

Thanks for that. There's some really good tips there.

Over the years I've learnt to pack lighter and after the experience of a lost luggage, I definitely try and fit all my clothes & accessories into my carry-on.

I've also bought a lower-end tablet online (around $150) just for travelling purposes so if I lose it or break it I won't cry. The other things I would never leave home without are: universal travel adaptor (perfect especially when country hopping), cable ties and digital travel scale especially these days when luggage weights are so strict. The travel scales are cheap and weighs nothing and gives you a piece of mind knowing your luggages are not over the limit.

Cheers, Coco

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A good article with packing tips from frequent travelers

That article is excellent. Thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A good article with packing tips from frequent travelers

A lot of these tips have been covered here before:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k53274…

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A good article with packing tips from frequent travelers

Seriously? Pack a starter pistol so that TSAfollows your bag closely. There is quite a bit of nuttiness in that article....

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A good article with packing tips from frequent travelers

.. and people with money to burn ...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A good article with packing tips from frequent travelers

"Seriously? Pack a starter pistol so that TSAfollows your bag closely. There is quite a bit of nuttiness in that article...."

And taking a charger from hotel lost and found if you forget yours? No wonder mine is never there when I look!

Anyway, yes, it's a goofy article but I enjoyed it. Maybe I enjoyed it because it WAS goofy. There were some apps and products I hadn't heard of before.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,034 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A good article with packing tips from frequent travelers

Gotoobs are horrible! They do not dispense well, particularly thicker (hair conditioner, lotions) products.

While I'm a huge fan of many electronic devices and resources, sometimes there's really nothing easier than a paper map or printed tour guide.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
220 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A good article with packing tips from frequent travelers

That article started off okay, but became nothing but advertisements. And the guy who 1) packs a pistol so his luggage doesn't get lost, and 2) parks illegally so he only has to pay parking tickets rather than higher priced airport parking ... he ought to be ashamed of himself. That's not smart travel, it's arrogant, selfish and inconsiderate. Oh, that made me mad!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,034 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A good article with packing tips from frequent travelers

Well, NY Times articles are written by people who get paid for the article to be published and are often nothing more than second, third, hand information, anyway.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A good article with packing tips from frequent travelers

they forgot to print the subtitle: "Or How to be a Self-Aggrandizing, Selfish Butthead Whom Other Travelers Would Love to Jettison at 30,000 Feet"