We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happened...

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What happened...

to phread's "Don't Shoot the Messenger" thread? I thought it was a hoot, and wanted to add a comment or two, but I can't find it...

??????

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What happened...

I realize this is not a good way to make TA friends but i think zsazsa-stl comments are right on the mark. Many of the most interesting threads on TA have been killed prematurely because some of the regulars use the thread as a chat room. People looking for Paris wisdom feel left out and not part of the discussion that they may have been fully engaged in the day before. I've been a "soup nazi" about staying on-topic in the past but ONLY for that reason. I like and even prefer the dialog about the city I love most but I hate to see threads driven into the ditch because of "chatting" in the thread. I'm guilty too so I'm not standing on a soapbox here. It's just true.

Simi Valley, CA
Level Contributor
328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: What happened...

"keep on keepin' on, Irish, phread, AnneParis, KDK, Truffaut, Denys, Kathor, et al."

I have to second this with a huge thumbs up to the local experts - and in my book two more names nested in the "et al" would be CocoChanel - best SN in the TA forum, and BobSacamano (SP)- or however it's spelled. But most everyone knows who I mean. He is the quintessential Frenchman in this forum, and a hoot to boot, even if he doesn't realize it.

I am always impressed at their patience and courtesy answering oft-repeated questions time after time. I have learned so much since joining this place.

over here
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: What happened...

thanks simicu - I hated to leave anyone out but knew I wouldn't remember everyone.

and Metro - no worries. I happen to think that nearly anything Paris related would be of interest to someone traveling there. As long as people aren't chatting about their personal lives (i.e. teachers at the schools, the neighbor that plays music too loud, etc) I feel they're within the realm of the forum. Apparently the moderators think otherwise. But anyone who can't allow you your opinion and move on to the next topic isn't a friend at all, merely a gasbag. :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: What happened...

I think ZsaZsa's and Metromole's assessment is correct and the thread was almost certainly deleted because the moderators considered it was being used for chat. I also suspect some threads on the recent manifestations have been terminated because some people made political comments. I assume that is the reason they created the "Off Topic Chatter" forum (and "off" seems often to be the operative word); to provide somewhere people can discuss politics etc, without moderation, as long as it does not become a "hate" session. The forum guidelines say they will still delete that kind of post.

TA is owned by Expedia. Obviously it has an interest in keeping the travel forums focussed on travel and encouraging newcomers to use the forum, regardless whether they ask the same question again & again. We should be glad that the TA moderators only remove threads that do not comply with the forum guidelines. There was a purge of regulars on Fodors Europe forum last year. Many were deleted for breaching the guidelines - sometimes without warning if they had been around a very long time and presumably were considered to know better.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: What happened...

metromole -

I don't in the least wish to get into an argument with you, but clearly your perception and mine of the amount of off-topic chat, and the harm that it does/has done differ.

So be it...

I also realize that TA's management must do what they think is in the best interests of Expedia's bottom line. I happen to think they are making a mistake in that regard by over-policing these forums. Wouldn't be the first time managerial decisions had had the opposite of the intended effect...

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: What happened...

<<I happen to think they are making a mistake in that regard by over-policing these forums. Wouldn't be the first time managerial decisions had had the opposite of the intended effect...??>>

Irish, I didn't make myself clear. I agree with your statement. I wasn't complaining about the chatting, I was trying to poit out that when it goes too far, it kills interesting and valuable threads. I've seen off topic chats go for two or more pages. I doubt the TA censors actually read every post or even get a feel for the value of a thread, They probably just look for patterns and when they see 3 or 4 off topic posts - TERMINATE.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: What happened...

metromole -

I seem to be making a habit of misunderstanding people today. By my present count, you are the third!

And therefore my aplogies to you, also.

(I put it down to sleeep deprivation...)

Je t'souhaite une bonne dimanche!