We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So the strike doesn't affect tourists?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oby
Nr Edinburgh
Level Contributor
141 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
So the strike doesn't affect tourists?

No matter how much people rant about how minimal disruption is to tourists personally it affected me and my family greatly......

We were due to fly to Paris on Tuesday past and our flight was cancelled on Monday.

We got our flight money back but had to pay for our first night accomodation, over £100.00.

As it was our Easter break with the kids I spent 4 hours trying to rearrange a holiday.

We have ended up coming home early after all this, my husband pulled a muscle in his back on the first morning we were away. I'm sure this is due to the stress of it all.

I don't care for any replies to this, I'm having a justified rant!

Washington, DC
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: So the strike doesn't affect tourists?

I just returned from Paris and learned the hard way that there are random strikes that can interrupt train (RER) service. I was on my way to the airport and the train stopped a few stops out of the city (I have no idea where). Everyone started exiting the train after an announcement was made. Luckily I found a passenger who was able to translate and tell me that the train would not continue because of a strike. I was able to find a bus that took me to an area with Taxis and an ATM (I had used all my Euros!) This was a very confusing situation and I hope that no one else experiences it. Especially if you have a flight to catch!

My post is not meant to discourage or frighten anyone from making a trip to Paris. Other than this incident, my vacation was not effected at all by the strikes or demonstrations. By the time I hopped on the train to return home, I was very comfortable with the train system and I was caught off guard and very unprepared when this to happened.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: So the strike doesn't affect tourists?

You bring up a really good point QA. Actually what probably happened was not a strike. Students have been blocking rail lines from time to time as a show of protest. This doesnt happen on a specific day like the marches do. During this time tourists may want to consider allowing extra time to get to the airport or use the air france or roissy buses.

Glad you were able to get a taxi and get to the airport! One time I took a taxi to the airport when I was running late. I had no euros on me. Told the taxi driver once we got there to leave the meter running and I went inside and withdrew cash at that point, then came back and paid. I of course left my luggage with him so he knew i wasnt just running off.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: So the strike doesn't affect tourists?

Strikes are a bit like unemployment. Probably a lot less than one per cent of tourists were significantly affected by the recent strikes. The trouble is that that less than one per cent was 100 percent affected, if you follow me.

Something akin to QuietAmerican's experience is not all that uncommon - and can happen anywhere. Trains and buses break down, signalling systems have a seizure, traffic lights malfunction - and so on.

Just to take care of such emergencies where you have to find a taxi or whatever, it's probably a good idea to ALWAYS have 50€ - or its equivalent in local currency - tucked away somewhere separate from your regular walking-about cash.

(Do I follow my own good advice. Wellll - let's say sometimes...)

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: So the strike doesn't affect tourists?

It's good advice to have a good bit of euro on hand in case of unforseen emergeencies. But yet to me the 1% of tourists who were affected by the strikes, student protests, etc. were very unlucky and although that % represents a very small number of people, it's still was not a good thing especially for them.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: So the strike doesn't affect tourists?

paris_1204 -

I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding you, or you misunderstood me, but the point you are making about the people affected by the strikes is exactly the same as the point I was trying to make.

Perhaps I just didn't make myself clear...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,462 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: So the strike doesn't affect tourists?

IrishRover, I read Paris_1204 as agreeing with you and commending your advice, not as misunderstanding you.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: So the strike doesn't affect tourists?

In that case the misunderstanding was my bad, and I apologize.

USA
Level Contributor
27,717 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: So the strike doesn't affect tourists?

>>>I just returned from Paris and learned the hard way that there are random strikes that can interrupt train (RER) service. I was on my way to the airport and the train stopped a few stops out of the city (I have no idea where). Everyone started exiting the train after an announcement was made. Luckily I found a passenger who was able to translate and tell me that the train would not continue because of a strike. I was able to find a bus that took me to an area with Taxis and an ATM (I had used all my Euros!) This was a very confusing situation and I hope that no one else experiences it. Especially if you have a flight to catch!<<<

Lucky for you that you had the presence of mind (and you had prudently allowed sufficient time to deal with unforseen delays getting to or at the airport prior to flight departurre) to deal with an unforseen situation...which can occur ANY time, for ANY number of reasons, to ANY one. Doing so is simply a part of '..travel..'. This occurence happened because of some action resulting from the protest demonstrations....but it could just as easly have occurred because of mechanical difficulty, accident or some 'wild cat' labour dispute (not an uncommon occurence in France).

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: So the strike doesn't affect tourists?

IrishRovr, yes, Faux is correct and I agreed with your sentiment. The 1% = 100% affected by the strikes certainly.