We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carrying a purse

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
455 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
carrying a purse

My well traveled daughter has been scolding me not to bother with a purse on our upcoming trip. She is afraid it may be stolen. I've seen it happen, in Nogales, but I carry my purse there no problem. I'd like some opinions. Sil vous plait.

By, the way, a chivalrous gentleman there did retrieve the lady's purse.

Viva Mexico!

Kensington, MD...
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: carrying a purse

I don't think you'd have much of a problem if you weren't carrying your passport, unless you get stopped by the police for some reason. It's one of those little things that we USers (and Canadians, I think) take for granted--not having to walk around with a mandatory government-issued ID document.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: carrying a purse

Vrai assez Trufault!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
264 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: carrying a purse

When we travel, my bag becomes the depository for everything that my family members don't want to carry themselves. That's why I learned long ago to carry a small black backpack -- not a purse -- so that we can all take turns carrying it. This means that, at least part of the time, I can walk around Paris empty handed and with nothing weighing down my shoulder!!! It's liberating!!!!

lookout, mountain!
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: carrying a purse

We found good sized leather bags to carry with us (see MissTrip's earlier post) that will comfortably fit from one shoulder across our bodies, but I also thought of the times we might be sitting eating or something, with them needing to hang on a chair or somewhere, so I fashioned an extra little strap onto the bags with a clip on it that will wrap around the chair and clip back onto itself (that make sense?) That way it is protected from "purse snatching" as we are eating/relaxing. If they run by and grab the bag, it is connected to the furniture. I used those metal clips for rope climbing etc (forgot what they are called) but they are easy and quick to fasten/unfasten, but strong and secure while fastened.

lookout, mountain!
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: carrying a purse

carabiners, that's what those rope clips are called

Israel
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: carrying a purse

Onward - The LEFT side of my bag's strap goes over my LEFT shoulder and continues around my back 'till it reaches the front. The bag is the kind that faces front, so it's not like the ordinary kind of shoulder bag that hangs down the side of your body, which makes it easy for a determined thief to easily yank it off your shoulder. My bag can't be yanked off.