We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auvers sur oise day trip? Worth it?

usa
Level Contributor
53 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Auvers sur oise day trip? Worth it?

This is our second trip to Paris, and we would like to take some day trips. Is Auvers sur oise a good choice? It seems as though the train trip is easy. Is it a small place where we can walk? Do we need a car or to take a cab once there? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,054 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auvers sur oise day trip? Worth it?

Great day trip -- we ran out of time to do everything we wanted to do -- we had lunch at the chateau which was good and we also went through their multi-media thing which was kind of cool -- but it meant we didn't have quite enough time for all the walking we wanted to do. It is easily walkable -- but a lot of walking. The visit to the church, graveyard with Van Gogh is buried and the fields near there were all really quite moving.

Another day trip that we really enjoyed was Crecy la Chapelle -- I did a blog post on that (alas I haven't gotten around to posting our Auvers trip yet) www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
353 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auvers sur oise day trip? Worth it?

We have been to France fifteen consecutive years. We stay for month. With an apartment (in Paris), we typically do a "day" trip once a week.

Our day in Auvers sur Oise was the BEST ever!!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Auvers sur oise day trip? Worth it?

I visited Auvers sur Oise with a very small group traveling by van and we spent about two hours there. It was a wonderful visit and I'd love to return so I could explore more thoroughly. I found the visit to the inn, fields and cemetery to be very sobering.

usa
Level Contributor
53 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auvers sur oise day trip? Worth it?

Thank you so much for the help!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Auvers sur oise day trip? Worth it?

Yes I think it's worth it. We were there last October and walked everywhere from the train station (even though we went there by car and parked at the station's parking lot). We had lunch at the château too. We had time to visit the whole old village and all sites pertaining to Van Gogh (cemetery, church, Auberge Ravoux, Dr. Gachet's House...). We didn't visit the Maison d'Aubigny as it is closed in October.

On the walk towards the château there is an Art Nouveau house designed by Hector Guimard (the architect of the métro station entrances) and cat engravings in the sidewalk that some local man had pointed to us. The tunnel under the railway station is fun too, covered in murals. Everywhere there are signs showing the places as they were painted by Van Gogh and other painters and you can compare with what they look like now.

Definitely a lovely little town. The old part can only be visited on foot anyway. You'd miss out a lot by car.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auvers sur oise day trip? Worth it?

In April, we spent the morning there on our way to Bayeux. It was magical!!! Truly a highlight of anything we've done in France. We had planned to only spend an hour, and ended up spending three and wished we had the whole day. Very walkable, beautiful town.

The train station is right there (in fact, right by where we parked the car to start walking), so you do not need a car or to taxi.

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
353 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auvers sur oise day trip? Worth it?

While in Auvers, we had lunch at Auberge Ravoux. We requested (and were granted) table #5, which was Vincent's table. It corresponded to Room #5 (which was his) upstairs.

All in all, a very memorable day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,277 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auvers sur oise day trip? Worth it?

I spent a day there in July last year for the 50th anniversary of Ossip Zadkine's statue of Vincent Van Gogh being inaugurated in Auvers-sur-Oise. It was a marvellous day following Van Gogh - first the marvellous Zadkine statue in the little park; Dr Gachet's house; Vincent's and Theo's graves in the little cemetery; the fields where Vincent did his painting of the wheat fields and the black crows (and it hasn't changed!); the town hall which he painted, the church and the steps up toward the church. Lunch at Auberge Ravoux was an absolute highlight. Recommend booking as it only seats 40. Menu of 3 courses including the 7-hour leg of lamb was 39 euros.Vincent did about 70 paintings in his last 70 days there. There are large boards with photos of his paintings near the actual today view, to compare. There is a direct train from platform 34 at Gare du Nord leaving at 0956 and returning at 1818. It runs on Sats, Suns and public holidays. It takes about 30 minutes. It operates between the first Sun in April until the last Sun in October. It was an unbelievable day. I walked everywhere. It was a bit of a hike to Dr Gachet's but the little streets with lovely gardens on the way made it a lovely walk in the sunshine.

Edited: 12:13 am, June 09, 2012
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,808 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auvers sur oise day trip? Worth it?

Unless you're a big fan of Van Gogh or you'll be in France for several months, no, it's not worth it.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,933 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Auvers sur oise day trip? Worth it?

Um, I think the primary reason people go to Auvers-sur-Oise is precisely because they are interested in Van Gogh, as well as other painters such as Cézanne, Pissarro, Corot, etc.