We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Nice to Paris, TRAIN or FLY?

on the go
Level Contributor
409 posts
211 reviews
76 helpful votes
Travelling Nice to Paris, TRAIN or FLY?

My first post! Great site!

In planning my trip this June we will go from Nice to Paris. TGV train takes 6 hours and is $115 (railrurope). I found direct flights for $65.00 and it's 1.5 hours. I like the idea of flying but then wondered if the train ride is beautiful. We're basing ourselves out of Villefranche-sur-mer (10 min from Nice) and will at the farthest do a daytrip to Marseilles so won't see anything more inland. Wondered if anyone has taken the train and could say it it's worth the 6 hours!? Thanks!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
63 helpful votes
1. Re: Travelling Nice to Paris, TRAIN or FLY?

fotogirl -

Go to the official French rail web site, www.voyages-sncf.com, and plug in your travel date and see what you can find for a fare. I bet you can beat RailEurope and probably by a bunch. (The site does have an English language option, and, if you want to buy your tix online, you should look in the France forum for MorganB's guide to buying SNCF tickets online.)

Timewise, there is not much to choose between the train and plane when you take all the nonsense of getting to/from airports and check-in times and the rest into account. But if it's your first visit, I would definitely recommend the train.

The scenery IS worth seeing (there is a point where you are looking out the window and you suddenly realize you have left the south of France and are in a totally different culture) and, in addition, there is something really cool about travelling across country at something approaching 200mph...

Give another holler if you have more questions - and enjoy your trip!

USA
Level Contributor
30,557 posts
9 reviews
39 helpful votes
2. Re: Travelling Nice to Paris, TRAIN or FLY?

>>>Go to the official French rail web site, www.voyages-sncf.com, and plug in your travel date and see what you can find for a fare. I bet you can beat RailEurope and probably by a bunch. (The site does have an English language option<<<

And this is another ringing endorsement for checking the direct SNCF-French National Railways web site for schedules and fares...rather than making the purchase through RailEurope. Some on-line, advance purchase, direct iDTGV fares run as low as 39€ per person in June.

SNCF--

www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/_SvHomePage…

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
41 reviews
77 helpful votes
3. Re: Travelling Nice to Paris, TRAIN or FLY?

For the airport, do not forget to add the cost of the taxi (about $55 to CDG or Orly) and take into consideration the time that you will have to invest in getting there (one hour) and security checks (one hour).

Add to the all the savings you gain by booking early and direct with SNCF and the rail option starts looking more advantageous.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
585 posts
42 reviews
36 helpful votes
4. Re: Travelling Nice to Paris, TRAIN or FLY?

I recently purchased two tickets, first class, from Paris to Nice for July 2 on the IDTGV site and only paid 98 euro total. The site is

www.idtgv.com/design/BR/homepage_br.htm

on the go
Level Contributor
409 posts
211 reviews
76 helpful votes
5. Re: Travelling Nice to Paris, TRAIN or FLY?

Thanks all!

I searched the official site and see options for July 7th - Nice to Paris but proceeding on the only one that shows is 4pm-arriving at 10pm in Paris! Same for say a day before or a day later. I'm assuming the rest are booked? I don't want to arrive that late at night! Especially then having to find our way to our hotel. It is cheaper though at 24 or 39 euro.

Mediamama: The IDTVG link you posted leads me back to SNCF site. Unless I'm not clicking the right links?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
585 posts
42 reviews
36 helpful votes
6. Re: Travelling Nice to Paris, TRAIN or FLY?

Yes, eventually it does take you to the other site. The only train listed is at 4 pm. I think there might be others but they are ones that stop and take much longer but I am not sure. (I am no expert so maybe someone else can enlighten you.) I was only interested in the fast train. Ours leaves Paris in the morning and we get to Nice after lunch so the times are good for us and the scenery should be good too. Traveling from 4 - 10 pm it probably would be dark the last hour or two and it would be awful late to arrive and get to your hotel. We are flying back from Nice instead of taking the train. Just wanted to take it one way for the experience and sightseeing.

on the go
Level Contributor
409 posts
211 reviews
76 helpful votes
7. Re: Travelling Nice to Paris, TRAIN or FLY?

I eventually did come across the search page for Idtgv. I think that is too late. I looked again at Raileurope and to take in the scenery on a train and get to Paris at a decent hour they offer 2nd class, $78.00. I just have to book 14 days prior. I would have to do this online I guess... this is a direct TGV route arriving around noon. Are there other rail ticket sites besides raileurope i could search?

Fare Rules

TGV:French Journey Day Train

Book Early Fare 2nd Class (Tier 1)

Special 2nd class one-way fare. Bookings must be made at least 14 days before train's departure date. Subject to availability.

This fare is non-refundable and non-exchangeable.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
63 helpful votes
8. Re: Travelling Nice to Paris, TRAIN or FLY?

fotogirl -

I don't know what date you are trvalling on, but I just picked a random date in June (6/20) and immediately found an iDTGV fare of 37 Euro in second class, 39 Euro in first class.

Use the www.voyages-sncf.com URL I already gave you. Or not. It's your money...

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
63 helpful votes
9. Re: Travelling Nice to Paris, TRAIN or FLY?

My apologies -

I just real;ized that you are travelling FROM Nice and I looked for fares TO Nice. The time of the iDTGV FROM Nice does not suit, I realize - but I did just find a fare of 45 Euro FROM Nice on the same date...

USA
Level Contributor
30,557 posts
9 reviews
39 helpful votes
10. Re: Travelling Nice to Paris, TRAIN or FLY?

>>Are there other rail ticket sites besides raileurope i could search?<<<

The ONLY rail information site you need to check is the SNCF-French National Railways web site. There are no special RailEurope train schedules nor is RailEurope likely to generate any lower fares, with any less restrictions. Right now SNCF is showing a 24,90€ (approx. $31.50) 2nd Class iDTGV fare and 39€ (approx $49) 1st Class iDTGV fare for the direct afternoon/evening train from Nice to Paris. There are no additional fees of charges, as there may be with RailEurope