We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prostitute street

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Prostitute street

Returned a couple of days ago from our 5 nights in Paris, and will be posting my trip report soon in the next day or so. Thanks to everyone for all the great advice, especially about transportation (loved the carte orange).

Before I post my trip report, I did want to ask about something.... we stayed at the Hotel Sainte Marie (near the Bonne Nouvelle metro), and twice while taking back alleys from our hotel to the Musee des Arts et Metiers, we came across what was obviously a street being used by prostitutes. It was odd for a few reasons--the two streets (they were different ones each time) were areas full of clothing stores, and it was the middle of the day--the stores were open for business, they were just surrounded by prostitutes. Anyone know anything about this? We just thought it was a little odd. Do the stores allow this? Do the cops try to crack down on this?

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,241 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Prostitute street

You were probably near Rue St Denis which is a red light district. That area is the garment district. I don't think prostitution is against the law in France. We encountered a similar area over behind the Gallaries Lafayette department store.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
478 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prostitute street

Rue St Denis, it has been cleaned up, you should have seen it a few years ago(or maybe not). The police only really look for illegal immigrant prostitutes and turn a blind eye to the others. Many of the French girls have been working in that street for 30+ years and have been there longer than the ragtrade. A strange and sad place.

The street Suzanne refers to is Rue de Budapest.

paris
Level Contributor
401 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prostitute street

The street Suzanne refers to is Rue de Budapest.

I think it is rue Victoire right behind Galeries Lafayette. You would not notice it during the day unless you are looking for it.

Prostitutes are also by Fauchon on that side street (rue de Seze), many of them in cars.

It is part of city life and most people do not pay attention.

USA
Level Contributor
30,065 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prostitute street

>>> It was odd for a few reasons--the two streets (they were different ones each time) were areas full of clothing stores, and it was the middle of the day--the stores were open for business, they were just surrounded by prostitutes<<<

Maybe the shops were running big sales on leather mini-skirts, fishnet stockings, 105 heels....and other things??

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prostitute street

Or perhaps, KDK, they were hoping to make acquaintances with the gentlemen in the area who were buying upscale fashions for their wives! All you men do that don't you? Buy upscale goodies for the ladies in your lives?

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,241 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Prostitute street

The shops I saw in that neighborhood were not exactly up-scale.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
478 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Prostitute street

Its the wholesale area, most shops around here are not open to the public.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prostitute street

So...when my husband mentions that he wants to take me there for clothes shopping, I'll know what he's really up to!

9. Re: Prostitute street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, March 27, 2006