We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

extra fare on rer/metro for luggage

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
38 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
extra fare on rer/metro for luggage

hubby heard that they are now charging an extra ticket for luggage to get through the turnstiles. Is this true? Hubby and I will be fine carrying ours, but I am worried about children getting stuck and needing another ticket to get through with rolling luggage

Florida
Level Contributor
17,079 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: extra fare on rer/metro for luggage

never heard of it. push the rollie bags under the turnstyle in front of you as you get through it....

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: extra fare on rer/metro for luggage

No, it's not true. On the RER there usually is an exit for people in wheelchairs or with big bags, without turnstiles. Just wide glass doors that open.

If you are encumbered by luggage going through the turnstiles in the métro, have your husband go first, then you help the kids get the bags over to their dad before going through the turnstiles, then you go last.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,043 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: extra fare on rer/metro for luggage

No extra charge that I've ever seen -- and I routinely ride through some of the bigger-interchange stations in the city, so see LOTS of people pushing/pulling/dragging luggage.

DO be aware, however, that if it gets stuck, you'll have to find an attendant -- and there are no porters to help you with your luggage.

with kids and luggage, I'd strongly suggest you seriously consider a taxi or the buses - either Cars Air France or the Roissybus, depending on where you're headed.

The RER isn't easy, but isn't too terrible (assuming the elevators and/or escalators work) -- but the Metro is a pain with a lot of stuff and kids to keep track of.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: extra fare on rer/metro for luggage

What a strange idea. You can take as much luggage as you can carry on the metro and RER. Only the buses have stricter rules.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,008 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: extra fare on rer/metro for luggage

on my first trip in on the RER, I followed the picture directions and wheeled my suitcase ahead of me -- big pincers then closed on me quite firmly trapping me with my luggage out in front easy pickings if there had been anyone of a mind to grab and run

there were no attendants nearby -- someone finally summoned one who extricated me -- so you do want to use the bypass or keep the luggage off the ground until you are through

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,082 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: extra fare on rer/metro for luggage

>>>> hubby heard that they are now charging an extra ticket for luggage to get through the turnstiles. Is this true? <<<<

It's true, and I will be waiting at the barrier to personally relive you of your 20euros :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
973 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: extra fare on rer/metro for luggage

I often wonder how these stories, myths or legends can start, get through and be still alive. Indeed, metro/RER turnstiles are not very convenient with luggage (or for kids or old people) but at least there's no extra cost.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,008 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: extra fare on rer/metro for luggage

maybe someone once got stuck like I did and had to use an extra ticket to get loose? LOL

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
38 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: extra fare on rer/metro for luggage

Thank you all for responses. It did seem a little strange, but was heard on a Rick Steves podcast. Looking forward to our trip :)

10. Re: extra fare on rer/metro for luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:41 am, June 20, 2013