We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Paris to Rome

Albuquerque
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Train Paris to Rome

Would like to take train from Paris to Rome - know nothing about it, other than my husband said he would like me to expereince this trip. No idea about which type of train from where in Paris nothing. Anything details anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Trip is planned for late September this year.

Thank you.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,323 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Paris to Rome

HI

all the info is available at from the Man in Seat 61

www.seat61.com

Cheers, cb

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,437 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Paris to Rome

having experienced the trip, I'd never choose to do it again. you can get the experience of sitting on a train in a day trip from Paris -- spending nearly a day and much money to get from Paris to Rome when it can be done quickly, efficiently and for much MUCH less money by air? why?

there is nothing charming or exotic about train travel

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Paris to Rome

Southwest - when you say "my husband said he would like me to expereince this trip." It makes me think of the Orient Express type experience. Not just a regular train trip from Paris to Rome. I agree with Janet, I would rather fly than do that long train trip. Just get me from Paris to Rome quickly so I can experience as much time in each city as possible and not wasting my time on the train. On the other hand, if you want to see some of the countryside this isn't the way I'd do it.

If he is talking about the Orient Express here is their website

orient-express.com/collection/trains/venice_…

Albuquerque
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Paris to Rome

Thank you - he was referring to the scenery, albeit the scenery from many, many years ago. I am sure the routes have changed. Appreciate your input.

Albuquerque
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Paris to Rome

Thank you for your referral.

NZzz
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Paris to Rome

We did exactly that last year but not in one day of course. It is a fantastic journey!

Leave Paris from Gare de Lyon on the TGV fast train direct to Nice (5.5hrs) ..scenery mainly rolling rural. Spend 3 days in Nice ...stay at "Nice Garden Hotel". Take local bus trips to Monaco and Saint Paul de Vence ...1 or 2 euros each.

Take train from Nice to La Spezia in Italy near the Cinque Terre (5 fishing villages). You need to change trains at Genova along the way,,,,(5.5hrs). We stayed at Hotel Firenze & Continentale which was easy walk to train stn. Amazing scenery with mediterannean on one side and steep mountains on the other with hundreds? of tunnels and mountain villages. Catch local hop on hop off train to each of the 5 villages and walk between them if you wish ..some very easy some not so. Do some research for here..fasinating!

Take the train from La Spezia to Rome Termini ...easy all done - well not so easy as we did jump on the wrong train but correct departure time in Nice, but managed to get off at the next stn in time to catch our proper train following hard up its rear...but you need that to keep you on your toes and wide awake.

Make sure of the train number before you blindly jump aboard. Good luck!!

tennessee
Level Contributor
462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Paris to Rome

Paris to Rome may be a bit much for one day, but taking the train from Paris to Italy can be very rewarding. I took a day train from Florence to Dijon (and later came on to Paris by train), a trip which I really enjoyed. The scenery was great, especially through the Alps, and I just liked seeing the countryside that I was passing through (as opposed to flying over it). And, while more time consuming, it is smoother and easier to go to a train station and climb on a train than it is to deal with all the airport hassles.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Paris to Rome

Agree that if you have the time to stop and stay along the way for some or all of that trip you might as well do that. That's completely different than a goal of just getting from one City to the other City in one journey w/o stopping.

I've seen some incredibly beautiful sights and scenery in Europe traveling by train as well as driving.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,196 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Paris to Rome

If it's the scenery you are after, maybe go via Switzerland. Fast direct trains from Paris to Lausanne, Geneva or Zurich (these are served by three different train routes) then direct train to Milan, then fast direct train to Rome. This is possible in one day, but would be more enjoyable with an overnight.

Albuquerque
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Paris to Rome

Can't thank you enough - wonderful information and suggestions. My inital query was not clear. We have the time - does not have to be a straight shot - it is the experience of viewing Swiss alps we are after. Thank you very much.