We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best (= traditional and elegant) cafes in Paris ???

Warsaw
Level Contributor
100 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Best (= traditional and elegant) cafes in Paris ???

Dear All!

Maybe this matter has already been tackled (if so, please, redirect me appropriately), but I would like to ask you of the best (in this case "best" means to me elegant, traditional, posh...etc.) cafes in Paris downtown. Just to make things clear, I mean a place where I can have a good coffee or tea or some cake, NOT a restaurant offering lunch or dinner dishes. Thank you in advance!

AV

Florida
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best (= traditional and elegant) cafes in Paris ???

Cafes also offer lunch and dinner dishes, but I think you mean you want places where it is ok to stop for a coffee or drink without being expected to order food, right..?

Warsaw
Level Contributor
100 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best (= traditional and elegant) cafes in Paris ???

Precisely!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,184 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best (= traditional and elegant) cafes in Paris ???

http://www.lesdeuxmagots.fr/

http://www.cafedelapaix.fr/

http://www.flobrasseries.com/

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best (= traditional and elegant) cafes in Paris ???

There are two cafes in St. Germain district that have historic significance, and are pretty fancy.

Les Deux Magots (listed above) and Cafe de Flore both used to be a sort of intellectual hub in Paris, with the likes of Picasso, Sartre, Camus frequenting them. They both have really good views too. I would go to one of those for the history.

Also, if you walk around rue St. Honore, not far from the Louvre, there are plenty of really posh cafes with supersteep prices :-)

Essex
Level Contributor
28,184 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best (= traditional and elegant) cafes in Paris ???

http://www.cafedeflore.fr/

nice suggestion Rasteriasha!

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best (= traditional and elegant) cafes in Paris ???

You might enjoy the ambience of Ladurée in rue Royale.

www.laduree.fr/en/maisons/details#99

Also, a place I haven't been to yet but hope to soon is Le Mollard at 115 rue Saint-Lazare, between rue de Rome and rue du Havre. Lovely Art Nouveau interiors and mosaics, apparently.

www.mollard.fr/salondethe_e.htm

They serve "afternoon tea" between 3pm and 7pm, so you could pop in for coffee and a pastry or two then.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
979 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best (= traditional and elegant) cafes in Paris ???

You could try the bar of Le Train Bleu in Gare de Lyon, it's something really special !

See at the bottom of this page: le-train-bleu.com/uk/#restaurant-le-train-bl…

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best (= traditional and elegant) cafes in Paris ???

The bar at Le Train Bleu tends to be overcrowded ?? How about Fouquet's at Champs Élysées, or is that too much of a restaurant, perhaps ?

Of course there is always the elegant bars and galeries in the 5***** hotels.

Nothing more elegant than a cup of tea in the bar or galerie of Four Seasons George V or at Le Meurice, where they serve tea, coffee and drinks in the lovely central room (Dali restaurant ?) and in the snugg, dim-lit bar.

Also the bar at Hotel Regina, just across from the Louvre (I think this played a part in The Bourne Identity ?) is very nice, and more affordable.

I have never been to the brand new Shangri-La hotel around Trocadéro, but that should be sooooo elegant, you swoon at entering the lobby.

The galerie at Plaza Athénée is not very charming IMO, too long and more like a walkway for hotel guests.

The bar at Le Crillon I have only peeped into - surprisingly small ?? But of course you can peoplewatch and enjoy the life of The Other Half !

As long as you stay away from the actual dining menu, anyone can afford a sniff of the upperclass luxuries at the grand hotels. The service is excellent, hospitable and perfectly courteous, even to hillbillies like moi. The only 2 places I have been snubbed was at Café de la Paix, what a nasty bugger of a waiter - and by the doorman/usher at Angelina's, not going there again, hot chocolate or not.

Edited: 6:42 am, December 04, 2011
Essex
Level Contributor
28,184 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best (= traditional and elegant) cafes in Paris ???

Hmmn, that was a waiter with no taste or style then!!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,130 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best (= traditional and elegant) cafes in Paris ???

You might also like the tea room at Mariages Freres who specializes in teas fomr around the world. Something from there makes a nice gift and it's almost impossible to choose from the hundreds of varieties. There are a couple of locations.

Pjk