We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelf life of a macaroon?

BJL
Ormond Beach, FL
Level Contributor
466 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Shelf life of a macaroon?

Leaving for Paris later today!!! Very excited.

Just wondering what the shelf life of a macaroon might be. A friend of mine loves them and I'd like to bring her some, but she lives in another state and I'd have to ship them once home.

I dont care much for sweeets beyond a little chocolate now and again, so I've personally never had a macaroon (I know, Paris blasphemy) but I plan to try one this trip. :-)

Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,248 reviews
from $105.76*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
660 reviews
from $108.19*
NJ
Level Contributor
32 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shelf life of a macaroon?

I purchased some on November 20 and someone in my office ate the last one yesterday. She also had one the day I brought them in (November 22) and said the first one was better but the second one was still pretty good.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shelf life of a macaroon?

Isn't that a bit like asking how long wine lasts once the bottle is open :) ?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shelf life of a macaroon?

"Isn't that a bit like asking how long wine lasts once the bottle is open :) ?"

My thoughts exactly when I read the title of this thread because those tasty little treats usually only last a couple of minutes after I buy them!

But in all seriousness, you shouldn't keep them that long. I think that Laduree says not more than 2 days.

Just an idea, but there is a Laduree in NYC. Perhaps you could get them to ship some to your friend. I know that it wouldn't be the same thing as bringing them from Paris but if you're going to have to ship them anyway...

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,957 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shelf life of a macaroon?

I've brought them back for people at work with usually a few days in between and never gotten a complaint.

Pjk

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shelf life of a macaroon?

Two days max. After that it's just a stale cookie, IMO.

And it's spelled macaron. A macaroon is covered with coconut an is yucky by comparison.

BJL
Ormond Beach, FL
Level Contributor
466 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shelf life of a macaroon?

Thank you ~ for the thoughts and the spelling correction! I think my iPad decided on that yucky coconut spelling for me :-)

Having never had one, I had no idea if they'd last two days, two weeks or two months. So from what I gather here, they are best bought & eaten fresh and basically have little to no shelf life to speak of.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,957 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shelf life of a macaroon?

There is a lady who sells them at a small stand in this market...

www.parismarkets.net/Saxe-Breteuil.html

It's open on Thursday and Saturday, and we usually come home on a Sunday, so we make a special trip there just to buy 2 dozen. Hers are just as tasty as store-bought ones and are less expensive.

Pjk

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,830 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shelf life of a macaroon?

A few days in the fridge, a day max without. They are chewy with cream inside -- cream can start to melt and the cookies become dry.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shelf life of a macaroon?

Just wondering if there is a place at CDG to buy them? Perhaps then our OP might have a chance to overnight them to her friend.

BJL
Ormond Beach, FL
Level Contributor
466 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shelf life of a macaroon?

Merci, everyone ~ I am headed for the airport!